73 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Fred -

You didn't buy your D700 SEACAM housings from us, so I can't speak to how yours was configured and priced, but seacamusa has never sold a Silver housing without the MSC (AF-M) control. We agree it is a crucial control.

The D800 offers twin bulkheads (either S6 or Nikonos V), MSC autofocus control, and moisture alarm at no additional charge. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

I wish there was a "LIKE" button for WP. :lol:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#42 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

I wish there was a "LIKE" button for WP. :lol:

Question; is the MSC control an added charge for Seacam? Are there any added charges for controls on Seacam or is everything standard and included in the price? (Except of course the viewfinder) Are there differences in how cameras are priced and configured from country to country? Steve, is it even possible to buy a Seacam without some controls as standard?

Edited by loftus, 20 June 2012 - 01:46 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#43 mreid

mreid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

I believe the MSC switch must be included I didn't see a separate listing on the pricing sheet on their website and they didn't ask me when I ordered. This will be my third Seacam housing. I thought about switching to one of the less expensive housings for a brief moment. What I like about the Seacam besides them being very fashionable is I don't have to spend much time fiddling with the housing between dives. Other than the short time spent changing the card, battery, lens or port I do nothing else. Don't have to worry about a loose port because they kind of snap into place. Anyway just my humble opinion. Mine should be arriving shortly. Took me four months to get the camera.

#44 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Question; is the MSC control an added charge for Seacam? Are there any added charges for controls on Seacam or is everything standard and included in the price? (Except of course the viewfinder) Are there differences in how cameras are priced and configured from country to country? Steve, is it even possible to buy a Seacam without some controls as standard?

Mary Lou is right, Jeff. The MSC is standard on the Seacam these days. About the only controls you could add as an option is the for the remote socket. There is a third bulkhead opening which can be for a remote cable release or video monitor. That could be an extra. The same socket can also be used for a new S10 bulkhead that wires a LAN cable to a computer. This is new technology developed for the pool venues at the Olympics for the D4, but it will populate throughout the Seacam Silver line-up soon. So. now you could put your Seacam housing on an underwater tripod in your pool, and sit in your loungechair with your laptop, drinking pina coladas while all those pretty girls swim in front of your dome, Jeff. You could even do local controls in Lightroom while they are still underwater holding their breath :lol:

There are some inevitable differences from country-to-country because of variables like VAT, import duties, and exchange rates; but we find that with cameras and cars too so I don't think it is unique to Seacam.

Edited by StephenFrink, 20 June 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#45 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

I believe the MSC switch must be included I didn't see a separate listing on the pricing sheet on their website and they didn't ask me when I ordered. This will be my third Seacam housing. I thought about switching to one of the less expensive housings for a brief moment. What I like about the Seacam besides them being very fashionable is I don't have to spend much time fiddling with the housing between dives. Other than the short time spent changing the card, battery, lens or port I do nothing else. Don't have to worry about a loose port because they kind of snap into place. Anyway just my humble opinion. Mine should be arriving shortly. Took me four months to get the camera.

No fiddling with the camera between dives? You should have got a Hugyfot with Hugycheck! I can see if all is OK just by the reflection of the winking green light on my cabin/bedroom wall!

Edited by John Bantin, 20 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#46 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

What I like about the Seacam besides them being very fashionable is I don't have to spend much time fiddling with the housing between dives. Other than the short time spent changing the card, battery, lens or port I do nothing else. Don't have to worry about a loose port because they kind of snap into place.

I didn't know they became a fashion item. I'd try putting my Seacams on my gold chains around my neck but I can't find a matching Louboutin sneaks! :lol:

I really like the Seacam no fuss screw-in ports too.

No fiddling with the camera between dives? You should have got a Hugyfot with Hugycheck! I can see if all is OK just by the reflection of the winking green light on my cabin/bedroom wall!

John, I just pressure tested with a pump and port adapter a Nauticam, Aquatica and Seacam the other week.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#47 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

John, I just pressure tested with a pump and port adapter a Nauticam, Aquatica and Seacam the other week.

Good for you!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#48 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

Stephen,

You've written that the MSC control, now a M-AF control is standard on new Seacam Silver housings. You didn't answer my question about whether this control, on the Seacam D800 housing, also pushes in the button on the D800 camera thats allows switching single auto-focus to continuous auto-focus and allows changing the focus sensor groupings.

Nor did you answer whether the D800 housing has a control to allow switching between spot metering, matrix and center-weighted metering. Which the D700 housing did not. Do you know the answer to either of these questons?

I think those two controls are likely to be of far more use and to be wanted by many more D800 shooters, than the number of shooters who want an S10 bulkhead with a LAN cable to connect the camera to a computer while it's underwater.

Fred

#49 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for that info Steve; yes the extra bulkhead is helpful - it was actually standard on the D700 Subal and I used it in the pool with USB out tethered to a laptop at poolside, though the cocktails had to wait till after the shoots. Working on it for my Nauticam. I am one of those who probably does not need the optical strobe outlets.
I will say that my initial impressions on my Nauticam are excellent, though I have not dived it yet. (Hopefully next week in South Africa) I think the fit and the way everything meshes is superior to my Subal. The way the zoom rings fit onto the lenses and mesh is also much more slick.

Edited by loftus, 21 June 2012 - 06:17 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#50 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I will say that my initial impressions on my Nauticam are excellent, though I have not dived it yet. (Hopefully next week in South Africa) I think the fit and the way everything meshes is superior to my Subal. The way the zoom rings fit onto the lenses and mesh is also much more slick.

I am shooting the Nauticam D800 at the moment in Egypt. The housing is very impressive. The multi-selector is working very well, falls right under your thumb when shooting. Nice feature.

Camera is very nice - although from time to time hangs - taking 10+ seconds to show the image you've just shot. The two other D800 owners on board - one says his camera also does this from time to time.

Sat with Peter Scoones and Mike Wong on the plane - and Peter is shooting D800s out here in his old Subal D700 housings - modified for the D800.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#51 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Camera is very nice - although from time to time hangs - taking 10+ seconds to show the image you've just shot.

What cards are you using? Seems like faster cards make quite a bit of difference.

#52 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

The problem occurs randomly - usually on the first shot of a subject - when the card has been asleep. Never had the problem in the middle of shooting a sequence of shots.

Using a Sandisk Pro Extreme 32GB CF. Not quite filled it on one dive yet - although we've had some pretty amazing subject matter this week.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#53 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Fred asked, and my answers below in bold:

Stephen,

You've written that the MSC control, now a M-AF control is standard on new Seacam Silver housings. You didn't answer my question about whether this control, on the Seacam D800 housing, also pushes in the button on the D800 camera thats allows switching single auto-focus to continuous auto-focus and allows changing the focus sensor groupings.

yes

Nor did you answer whether the D800 housing has a control to allow switching between spot metering, matrix and center-weighted metering. Which the D700 housing did not. Do you know the answer to either of these questons?

Yes. Thanks for asking, Fred.

I think those two controls are likely to be of far more use and to be wanted by many more D800 shooters, than the number of shooters who want an S10 bulkhead with a LAN cable to connect the camera to a computer while it's underwater.

Fred

Edited by StephenFrink, 21 June 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#54 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Stephen,

Thank you for posting the answers to my questions concerning the D800 housing controls.

Fred

#55 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Stephen,

Thank you for posting the answers to my questions concerning the D800 housing controls.

Fred

A pleasure, Fred. I appreciate your passion for photography, and concern for housing ergonomics. Feel free to reach out for clarification any time.

The first Seacam D800 housings should arrive to us next week, and I'll try to get some photos of the camera + housing before they ship to their owners. I'm sure those of you who shoot D800 will deduce a lot about functionalities just by looking at the photos.

#56 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

The first Seacam D800 housings should arrive to us next week, and I'll try to get some photos of the camera + housing before they ship to their owners. I'm sure those of you who shoot D800 will deduce a lot about functionalities just by looking at the photos.

It is appropriate that the first D800 to arrive in the USA belongs to Mary Lou Reid, who began this thread on the SEACAM D800. So, before it relocates to Texas, and then the world of her favorite critter destinations, I shot some photos of her housing today.

Here are the exteriors:

D800_front.jpg

D800_rear.jpg

D800_left.jpg

D800_right.jpg

D800_top.jpg

#57 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Here are the interiors:

D800_inside_rear.jpg

D800_inside_front.jpg

For those who inquired about the AF/MF functionality, lift the external lens release lever up and it releases the lens so you don't have to open the back of the housing to change lenses:

Posted Image

But, press the same control down and it pushes the little button that is built into the AF/MF control:

Posted Image

Edited by adamhanlon, 01 July 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#58 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Steve,
Thanks for posting, Looks very nice.

#59 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

It looks good!. I see there is room for the cameraīs flash but no OF connector; is it userīs choice?

Is that a third connector plug on the bottom right of the housing?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#60 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Hi David,

I had my D300 altered by Michael Finger ( www.mike-dive.de). He used the third connector plug to make a connection for my opitcally triggered Sea&Sea flashes to the internal D300 flash, works perfekt. He will do the same for my D800 housing.

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150