Seacam D800 Housing

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

It looks very elegant: somehow (don't let Alsky72 know) less cluttered than the inside of the Nauticam...

Tim

;)

#62 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Sorry ... for whatever reason I couldn't quite get the right two photos to appear to show how the dual functionality of the lens release lever works. To clarify:

Here are the interiors:

For those who inquired about the AF/MF functionality, lift the external lens release lever up and it releases the lens so you don't have to open the back of the housing to change lenses:

D800_AF_MF_Up.jpg

But, press the same control down and it pushes the little button that is built into the AF/MF control:

D800_AF_MF_Down.jpg

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#63 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Stephen,

This dual-use control looks like a very nice solution to this complex D800 camera control. Do you keep a "demo" D800 housing at your shop? If so, I'd be interested in coming down to handle it with a D800 inside. I can bring a D800 with me for the purpose. While some people may have interpreted some of my comments as being anti-Seacam, they also need to look at the favorable things I have also said. I feel that legitimate criticism should have the possibility of leading to improvements. As as Stephen knows, I modified most of my own ports and extension rings to have the double O-ring system that is now standard, many years later, on the ports and extension rings that Seacam now produces. I did this in 2001 and showed it to Harald and Stephen at the 2001 DEMA show. That was when I was shooting with the Seacam F5 housings.

To Adam, et al. I have been out of touch for the last three weeks since offering to show pictures of my D700 housing modifications. At that time I was in Bali, and a day or two later my laptop computer died consigning me to internet cafes for the remained of that trip. I've made it back to Sarasota and have just replaced the dead laptop with a new one. And hope to be able to participate in D800 and D800 housing discussions, which are very relevant to my own photographic interests.

Fred

#64 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I got a new housing for a D800. After it has been banged on the rocks in Malpelo, I think external finish is irrelevant. However, mine's guaranteed not to flood if it's got a green light on the leak test (using air) system. I'm very reluctant to go back to any other housing without it, no matter how pretty it might look on my desk.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#65 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

John, air pressure testing equates to just 10m or so. The majority of leaks do occur in that range but it's not a guarantee. Pressure testing is simple with a pump and a nozzle. No need to be brand specific. However, ports (BIG and corner beautifiul), accessories and features like the ability to focus AND zoom are important to some and only Seacam has dual dials for that. Others have pushed it to the extension rings but that would require lifting the left hand off the handles. My Seacam housings have been banged up over many years in 4m surf launches and rocks and sharks and whales... it's nice to know it can take a licking. Only thing is I wish they had a black version because the damned sharks take too much of a liking to it! Posted ImageHorses for courses and all that. No one housing brand fits the needs of everyone.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#66 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

If only I were rich like you...but I'm a working class lad wot needs to make a living.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#67 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Just trying to keep it real John. I'd be richer if my housings were free. However I don't see Harald offering me a free one just to support the brand in public. Nor would I accept such a gift to keep my impartiality, don't you agree?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#68 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Just got back from South Africa; got to meet Drew and hang out with him for the first time. No matter what anyone else says, he's a really great guy. The only problem is that he does not have an opinion on anything. :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#69 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

LOL now you've lost credibility, Jeff. Plus facts aren't opinions :)

Drew

#70 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Stephen,

This dual-use control looks like a very nice solution to this complex D800 camera control. Do you keep a "demo" D800 housing at your shop? If so, I'd be interested in coming down to handle it with a D800 inside. I can bring a D800 with me for the purpose. While some people may have interpreted some of my comments as being anti-Seacam, they also need to look at the favorable things I have also said. I feel that legitimate criticism should have the possibility of leading to improvements. As as Stephen knows, I modified most of my own ports and extension rings to have the double O-ring system that is now standard, many years later, on the ports and extension rings that Seacam now produces. I did this in 2001 and showed it to Harald and Stephen at the 2001 DEMA show. That was when I was shooting with the Seacam F5 housings.

To Adam, et al. I have been out of touch for the last three weeks since offering to show pictures of my D700 housing modifications. At that time I was in Bali, and a day or two later my laptop computer died consigning me to internet cafes for the remained of that trip. I've made it back to Sarasota and have just replaced the dead laptop with a new one. And hope to be able to participate in D800 and D800 housing discussions, which are very relevant to my own photographic interests.

Fred

Sorry, Fred. We don't have a demo housing for the D800 at the moment. If we did I'd be happy to have you dive it. For now all our housings are committed to shooters with upcoming travel, so we are trying to expedite their deliveries.

#71 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hi Stephen,

I didn't want to take the D800 housing for a dive. Only wanted to see it in the "flesh" and put a D800 inside it to see how the controls worked and felt. It would only take a hour or two at the most. I'd like to avoid the type of unpleasant surprise I had when I got my first D700 housing and discovered there was no way to switch between the ambient light metering patterns. Have you delivered one to a customer in Florida who I might be able to contact and arrange to visit?

Fred

#72 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi Stephen,

I didn't want to take the D800 housing for a dive. Only wanted to see it in the "flesh" and put a D800 inside it to see how the controls worked and felt. It would only take a hour or two at the most. I'd like to avoid the type of unpleasant surprise I had when I got my first D700 housing and discovered there was no way to switch between the ambient light metering patterns. Have you delivered one to a customer in Florida who I might be able to contact and arrange to visit?

Fred

Sure. No problem. We have at least 2 coming in to my dive buddies in Key Largo. We can arrange for you to visit their housings at our studio. I'll ask Liz to contact you directly when theirs arrive. I'm just coming in from Bonaire today and heard we had several housings arrive and ship last week, but I don't think the Key Largo connection has arrived yet.

#73 LHS

LHS

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi, I just joined the forum. I'd like to know if anybody has tried using a D800 in a Seacam D700 housing.
I saw a post by Alex Mustrad in June that mentioned Peter Scoones' mods to his Subal housing: "Sat with Peter Scoones and Mike Wong on the plane - and Peter is shooting D800s out here in his old Subal D700 housings - modified for the D800."
This seems to imply that it may be possible to do the same with the Seacam D700 housing. If so, has anybody tried doing it?
This is my 2nd Seacam housing and I love them, but they are not cheap!

#74 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hello Stephen, et al,

I've just had the opportunity to take a close look at one of Seacam's D800 housings. I feel it is an excellent housing for the Nikon D800 camera and a considerable improvement over my D700 housings. It now has almost every control you could reasonably want, except perhaps a port lock, which I will be able to add since it is important in my opinion. The change in position of the AF-M switch from the front of the housing to the lower left side makes it easier to reach with your hand on the left hand grip. Making what was only a lens release lever on my D700 housing do double duty to also push the small button on AF-M switch of the camera has been done very well. And again, this control is easily used with your hand in place on the hand grip. There is also now a control that allows you to switch between spot, matrix and center weight metering. I don't use the matrix metering with any frequency, but I do use spot and center weight metering regularly. This control now allows me to make the switch underwater and not have to choose one or the other before the dive. Internally several of the controls have been redesigned and beefed up. And, to me, they look more reliable. I commend Seacam on these improvements.

Fred