• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AnnettePapa

AnnettePapa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

Is anyone out there using Sea and Sea's d7000 Housing, and did you opt for the sync cables or the fiber optic, and why?

Im at a point where budget is a concern, but my systems going to get used, quite a bit. Im worried about how delicate fiber optic cords are, and that I would quickly spend more replacing them. Although almost everyone I know have eventually had issues with their Sync cords.

Id love to hear your opinions.

I'll be using it with two YD-D1 strobes.

Thanks!!

#2 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

You can always DIY fiber optic cords very cheaply and of the length you want. It is not easy at all with electronic cords. Besides, it is not easy to break fiber optic cords... I would go with optical fiber as you can use dsTTL and it avoids some flooding risks.
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#3 AnnettePapa

AnnettePapa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

You can always DIY fiber optic cords very cheaply and of the length you want. It is not easy at all with electronic cords. Besides, it is not easy to break fiber optic cords... I would go with optical fiber as you can use dsTTL and it avoids some flooding risks.

How would i go about making my own cord and get the proper fitting to stick on the housing?

I've heard that optic cords are just super delicate and if they're bend wrong or crimped they will just stop working? I'm also a tiny bit concerned with the recycle time of the on camera flash. Even if i fire it at the lowest power, I get, at most 3 quick shots with the flash, then it doesn't work for quite some time. Is this something I should even be concerned with?

#4 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

How would i go about making my own cord and get the proper fitting to stick on the housing?

I've heard that optic cords are just super delicate and if they're bend wrong or crimped they will just stop working? I'm also a tiny bit concerned with the recycle time of the on camera flash. Even if i fire it at the lowest power, I get, at most 3 quick shots with the flash, then it doesn't work for quite some time. Is this something I should even be concerned with?

We just went to Subals with fiber optics on D7000.
No problems and they are very much more robust than they look.
Also can be field repaired.
And best of all consider the 'o' rings you are eliminating!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#5 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have use fiber opticial connections for 6 years. I stopped packing the unused S&S 5 pin as a backup. I use the Inon 240's. No problems.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#6 Brian McHugh

Brian McHugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Is anyone out there using Sea and Sea's d7000 Housing, and did you opt for the sync cables or the fiber optic, and why?

Im at a point where budget is a concern, but my systems going to get used, quite a bit. Im worried about how delicate fiber optic cords are, and that I would quickly spend more replacing them. Although almost everyone I know have eventually had issues with their Sync cords.

Id love to hear your opinions.

I'll be using it with two YD-D1 strobes.

Thanks!!

I've used the fiber optic cords on my S&S with the D7000 for about a year with no problems. They seem very durable to me and I beach dive most of the time. I just upgraded to electronic with the new TTL converter as my 110a strobes were not TTL compatible via fiber optics. If I had new newer strobes I would have stuck with the fiber optic triggers.

Brian

#7 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

I just upgraded to electronic with the new TTL converter as my 110a strobes were not TTL compatible via fiber optics. If I had new newer strobes I would have stuck with the fiber optic triggers.

That is strange because Sea&Sea YS 110 alphas are dsTTL compatible with D7000 (and their dsTTL is very reliable) :) many people here use them that way (and I have tried it too)...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#8 Brian McHugh

Brian McHugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

That is strange because Sea&Sea YS 110 alphas are dsTTL compatible with D7000 (and their dsTTL is very reliable) :) many people here use them that way (and I have tried it too)...

I have not been able to get my strobes to sync via dsTTL and expose properly, although it worked fine on my previous camera (Olympus E-520). I pulled this off of B&H's site description for the D7000 housing: The YS converter/N is not currently compatible with the Nikon D7000 in a DSLR housing. The DS-TTL function on Sea&Sea's YS-110a and YS-01 strobes is not compatible with the Nikon D7000 due to the camera’s TTL system. Please use these strobes in manual mode.

I know there was a firmware update on the strobes for the newer versions, mine were older versions purchased prior to the D7000's existance. Perhaps these newer strobes work in dsTTL? S&S recentley updated their electronic TTL converter to work with the D7000 as well as the previous version was incompatible. S&S still lists the dsTTL for the YS01 as incompatible but the newer YS-D1 as compatible via dsTTL2. It was unclear where the current YS110a falls in their list.

Brian

#9 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I have not been able to get my strobes to sync via dsTTL and expose properly, although it worked fine on my previous camera (Olympus E-520). I pulled this off of B&H's site description for the D7000 housing: The YS converter/N is not currently compatible with the Nikon D7000 in a DSLR housing. The DS-TTL function on Sea&Sea's YS-110a and YS-01 strobes is not compatible with the Nikon D7000 due to the camera’s TTL system. Please use these strobes in manual mode.

I know there was a firmware update on the strobes for the newer versions, mine were older versions purchased prior to the D7000's existance. Perhaps these newer strobes work in dsTTL? S&S recentley updated their electronic TTL converter to work with the D7000 as well as the previous version was incompatible. S&S still lists the dsTTL for the YS01 as incompatible but the newer YS-D1 as compatible via dsTTL2. It was unclear where the current YS110a falls in their list.

Brian

Maybe it is the firmware... but I know of at least four people using YS110alphas with D7000 in dsTTL and getting very reliable exposures. I also use the D7000 with YS250pros and one of the oldest S&S converters (from way before D7000´s announcement) with no problems. I think they sometimes don´t list compatible items just because they have not tried...

Good luck anyway!
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com