• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

The new entry level Canon EOS T4i/650D was announced last week, featuring a few firsts for Canon DSLR. This is the first Canon DSLR to feature continuous AF during video capture (Movie Servo mode), and also allowing the user to track subjects with touch indication (an old Sony feature!) using the swivel touch screen monitor, yet another first.
The 18mp sensor also has Phase Array AF sensors built into the sensor element itself, another first for DSLR (but not cameras as Nikon did that with the 1 series EVIL cameras). These hybrid system (which couples with the Contrast AF system) is only available in Live View or Movie mode. The T4i also is the first Canon DSLR to support UHS-1 SD card protocol.
With these impressive new features, the T4i does promise to make for an impressive entry level camera.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

OK,

In general do Canon UW-users normally house the xxxD line of cameras or more often the xxD or xD? I do use Canon 500D topside now, but when moving into DSLR for UW use, the complete system cost is relatively so much bigger than the camera itself, so the cost of moving up to a xxD or xD is realtively small. Likewise the compact size advantage is largely lost when put into a housing and especially low-cost husings like Ikelite.

Thoughts?

Worth waiting for the 70D or 7D successor?

//O

#3 John_D

John_D

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

I have been using the XSI and T1i for the last 3 or 4 years and I have the peace of mind of knowing that in the event of a flood the camera body is pretty cheap to replace. The lens is another story though.
The video performance of the T4i might be worth a body and case upgrade.
John

#4 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Given how many external viewfinder options there are now, theres a lot to be said for considering getting a lower spec camera with an external viewfinder over a higher one with the normal viewfinders. And with the phase detect on sensor, it may even be unnecessary for that, if the stills focus is fast enough.

Floodwise it is easier to replace, however Ive had a mini flood where the weather sealing on the 7D may be what saved it. But a spare body is pretty hard to beat in that regard, and makes above water shooting easier as well.

In conclusion, dunno. Id miss the burst shooting and various other things for above water, but underwater the cost savings make it pretty compelling, and any sensor advantage is likely to be measurable but not particularly meaningful. x-sync speed maybe? The only other issue I can think of is how easy that camera will be to use underwater if you cant use the touch screen options.

Otara

#5 onewolf

onewolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Diving, Fishing, Photography, Kayaking

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

OK,

In general do Canon UW-users normally house the xxxD line of cameras or more often the xxD or xD? I do use Canon 500D topside now, but when moving into DSLR for UW use, the complete system cost is relatively so much bigger than the camera itself, so the cost of moving up to a xxD or xD is realtively small. Likewise the compact size advantage is largely lost when put into a housing and especially low-cost husings like Ikelite.

Thoughts?

Worth waiting for the 70D or 7D successor?

//O

In my case I was choosing between a 7D or T2i system. The 7D body cost about $1000 more than a T2i and the Nauticam 7D housing costs about $800 more than the T2i housing. Therefore it was an $1800 price difference. I opted for the T2i system. Which I have been completely happy with.

(Primary) Nauticam 550D, Canon T2i, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm IS, Tokina 10-17FE, Zen 100mm domeport, Nauticam 180deg viewfinder, Dual S&S YS-110a, SOLA 600 focus light, Dual AOI RGBlue video lights, GoPro Hero 2

(Backup) Olympus E-PM1, PT EP-06, Olympus 14-42 II, Olympus 60mm macro

--- Visit My Website ---

#6 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Oh no it seems like it is the same old sensor again according to the preliminary review :-(

I had my hopes up for some improved HighISO/DR in this generation...

http://www.cinema5d....hp?f=88&t=42002

//O

#7 TonySuber

TonySuber

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, surf, sports, and portrait photography. Reading, golf, bicycling and spending time with my red headed turtle!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Oh no it seems like it is the same old sensor again according to the preliminary review :-(

//O

After reading the comments in the article linked above, I'm hesitant to actually say anything as I'm actually happy with the camera. Its not pro level by any stretch of the imagination in either still or video performance but that's why it's a sub $1,000 camera.

I bought it figuring, worst case, it would be an acceptable "back up" studio camera should my 5D Mark III break during the middle of a studio session.

My hope was it would also be my primary underwater camera given the improved autofocus ability during video shooting. Mind you, I'm not shooting for national geographic underwater (or above, truth be told!) so I don't have an overly exacting standard for video quality.

That being said the autofocus during video has its quirks and isn't up to the level I've seen on the mirrorless cameras such as the NEX7 or Panasonic GH2.

When it works, it makes for a nice video but most of my clips to date do involve a certain amount of "hunting" when there's subject movement. There's also still the tendency that when the focus goes out it will go all the way out before coming back.

I was using a 17-40L lens and haven't been able to play with one of the new STM lenses.

Hopefully familiarity will breed better skills with the video feature.

#8 TonySuber

TonySuber

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, surf, sports, and portrait photography. Reading, golf, bicycling and spending time with my red headed turtle!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

//O

After reading the comments in the article linked above, I'm hesitant to actually say anything as I'm actually happy with the camera. Its not pro level by any stretch of the imagination in either still or video performance but that's why it's a sub $1,000 camera.

I bought it figuring, worst case, it would be an acceptable "back up" studio camera should my 5D Mark III break during the middle of a studio session.

My hope was it would also be my primary underwater camera given the improved autofocus ability during video shooting. Mind you, I'm not shooting for national geographic underwater (or above, truth be told!) so I don't have an overly exacting standard for video quality.

That being said the autofocus during video has its quirks and isn't up to the level I've seen on the mirrorless cameras such as the NEX7 or Panasonic GH2.

When it works, it makes for a nice video but most of my clips to date do involve a certain amount of "hunting" when there's subject movement. There's also still the tendency that when the focus goes out it will go all the way out before coming back.

I was using a 17-40L lens and haven't been able to play with one of the new STM lenses.

Hopefully familiarity will breed better skills with the video feature.