• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nflor001

nflor001

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

#2 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

I have had them in both of my Aquatica housings. They are very sensitive and yes, I think they could "potentially" save your system. Most leaks are not "catastrophic"... they are tiny wee things that over the course of a dive could do some serious damage. If the moisture detector goes off early in the dive, you could, in theory, surface and get the camera out of the water... Of course if your dome pops off, you're pooched no matter what.

Having said all of this, fortunately, I've never had a real-life experience to test it. I can trigger mine with a moistened finger across the terminals though, so I know it is very sensitive. My only complaint is that because the thing is "live" all of the time, you need to pull the battery before storing your system away or the battery will be dead when you go to use it again...

Edited by Stoo, 11 June 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#3 okuma

okuma

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

[quote name='nflor001' date='Jun 11 2012, 09:07 PM' post='310912']

Do you have a lock on your house?
Is it beneficial?
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1457 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Definitely it is helpful. If you have a catastrophic failure then it won't help, but for a slow/small leak it is very useful.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have always had one and it did save my skin with a slow leak once. As Bill stated, a detector will not help with a complete flood. Always check that the battery for the leak detector is a good one. Some people leave that battery in for so long that the battery is no good. I just lick my finger and put it on the contact. If the alarm goes off, the battery is good but testing it with a battery tester before leaving for a trip is the smarter approach
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 nflor001

nflor001

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for everybodys opinion. Will definetly buy one.

#7 meltdownman

meltdownman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have had them in both of my Aquatica housings. They are very sensitive and yes, I think they could "potentially" save your system. Most leaks are not "catastrophic"... they are tiny wee things that over the course of a dive could do some serious damage. If the moisture detector goes off early in the dive, you could, in theory, surface and get the camera out of the water... Of course if your dome pops off, you're pooched no matter what.

Having said all of this, fortunately, I've never had a real-life experience to test it. I can trigger mine with a moistened finger across the terminals though, so I know it is very sensitive. My only complaint is that because the thing is "live" all of the time, you need to pull the battery before storing your system away or the battery will be dead when you go to use it again...

Wolf,

While trying to remove the battery for my Aquatica Leak Detector, I am finding it quite difficult to remove it. I am using a dull plastic piece to get under and between the battery and circuit board but it is held in there so tight that the whole circuit board appears to be lifting. I am affraid to use any kind of jewelers screwdrivers to spread the plastic holding the batter in place on top in fear of breaking it. Any suggestions on how to safely remove the battery?

Thanks in advance

#8 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Was using an Oly E330 with 10 bar housing..Red Sea. Just five minutes into the second dive saw this bright flashing light, my heart skipped a beat and i abandoned the dive. No harm done thanks to the leak detector. Just a little water had got in from the front dome port which had not been secured properly. Still cant figure what went wrong. The combination of "sanitary pads"Posted Image at the bottom of the housing and the leak detector had saved the day - and my housing/camera :-)

Cheers,

Diggy
SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,
FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy
Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240

#9 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

While trying to remove the battery for my Aquatica Leak Detector, I am finding it quite difficult to remove it.

It is tricky. I use a small slot/blade screwdriver under the blade. If you look closely, of the two connectors for the battery, only one wraps around the edge of the battery, so it is easier to prise up the other side. On my current housing, the detector is just attached with Velco so it moves a bit. I installed the one on my last housing and put it in with a small screw.