• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 magicfx

magicfx

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

Please recommend me some good dive shops based on Muscat(capital city of Omen) or Musandam,
with staffs having experience of taking care of guests' UW cameras.
Thank you.

#2 balagan

balagan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Please recommend me some good dive shops based on Muscat(capital city of Omen) or Musandam,
with staffs having experience of taking care of guests' UW cameras.
Thank you.

There aren't really any dive operators as such that specifically cater for UW photography in my experience.

Muscat and a bit further north at Al Sawadi there is an operator called Extra Divers, they also have a centre at Khasab. German run and pretty professional. Quite a few of us UW photo guys tend to dive the Daymaniyat Islands when down in Oman proper.

For Musandam there are a few more operators on the Dibba side - you will need to drive through the UAE to get there. One is called Nomad Ocean Adventures - the owner is a UW photographer and caters for us the best he can. Just don't expect any centres to have a dedicated room with air hoses and charging points.

Another one to consider if going through the UAE is Divers Down who are based in the Miramar just north of Fujairah. Most of the UAE based photographers use them - and they have a nice little wreck called Inchcape 2 which on average has about 12 species of Nudibranch on it as well as some resident Fuscus Seahorse. We actually keep finding species that aren't meant to be in the UAE such as Spiny Tiger Shrimps, Xeno crabs, Polycera sp and Aegires villosus.

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Agree with Balagan. Chris at nomad is more than happy to help you out with regard to photography... although don't trust his opinion on lenses - i asked his advice macro or wide on a recent trip and there i was with a 105mm macro and a whale shark swimming by.. lol :) seriously though they are good and the have basic accomodation as well.

Al marsa will take care of you and your camera as long as you let them know a little in advance. Sheesha beach are also good for trips right to the top of the musdandam.

Divers down are good for the inchcape trip and some of the other locations and will if you ask nicely give you a large bucket for cameras and a hose..
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#4 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

http://www.rigzone.c...or_Whale_Sharks

You see this Alastair.

#5 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yes - i know some guys that are going there for photography (jealous) and tagging projects.. When we were offshore RAK we used to get them below the rig!

pretty cool - saw a 4m baby this weekend in Lima.. going to the top of the musandam friday for Leopard sharks and whale sharks (hopefully - no offence dive god!)
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com