• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wally

wally

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have just received my new Nauticam NA-D7000v housing. I had a Nikonos bulkhead installed without knowing that the HDMI port will not be available if I have the Nikonos installed. This has put me in a interesting position. I wanted to use TTL for my marco shooting. I have several DS161's so I ordered the Ikelite TTL adapter and cables. To make a long story short I cannot use TTL with my Ikelite strobes and still get the HDMI port. The housing is stock with two fiber outputs so my question to all is What will I gain or lose by switching to Inon Z240's? Anyone who is using the Inon strobes that switched from Ikelites.
Please share your comments and advice.

Regards,

Wally

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have just received my new Nauticam NA-D7000v housing. I had a Nikonos bulkhead installed without knowing that the HDMI port will not be available if I have the Nikonos installed. This has put me in a interesting position. I wanted to use TTL for my marco shooting. I have several DS161's so I ordered the Ikelite TTL adapter and cables. To make a long story short I cannot use TTL with my Ikelite strobes and still get the HDMI port. The housing is stock with two fiber outputs so my question to all is What will I gain or lose by switching to Inon Z240's? Anyone who is using the Inon strobes that switched from Ikelites.
Please share your comments and advice.

Regards,

Wally

I didn't switch from Ike, but STTL on the Inons works great with fiber optic triggering. You might also look at the S&S D1, same power as the Z240 but a bit cheaper.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

You do have the option of a mini bulkhead which can replace one of the fiber optic bulkheads. This way you can have an HDMI bulkhead on the main out and a standard bulkhead in place of one of the fiber optic bulkheads.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 wally

wally

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

You do have the option of a mini bulkhead which can replace one of the fiber optic bulkheads. This way you can have an HDMI bulkhead on the main out and a standard bulkhead in place of one of the fiber optic bulkheads.

Thanks Alex,
I have had several conversation with the Nauticam dealer here in the US and this was never presented as an option. I will look into this.

#5 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

To answer your original question, I switched from Ikelite DS-125 in an Ikelite case to InonZ-240 specifically because I wanted fibre optic connections. The INON strobes have been MORE reliable, by far, than the Ikelite setup--one failure in 5 years versus 3 failures in two years. I use eneloop batteries in the INON and they last longer than the Ikelite Ds-125 even with upgraded batteries and the Z-240s are smaller and easier to pack. Charging is easier because I use a powerful 8 slot charger for both strobes.

However........

The target lights on the DS-125 were better and easier to use. I found the temperature of the Ikelite better but possibly Alex's new filter/diffuser would fix that. Finally the Z-240 are relatively heavy in the water because they are smaller. I use STIX floats to compensate. Changing batteries I found easier with the Ikelite until the swivel lock on the battery degraded. Then worse.

I have s-2000 and I don't find them as powerful. However, they sure are small.

Regards,

Tom