#1 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Dear All,

I saw this awesome video some time back:

Posted by Ryan Canon at Reef photo and video, optical strobe firing, manual flash at 1/128

I am trying to gain some intial knowledge and experience with my wide angle setup (*Canon 7D, tokina 10-17 and Kenko 1.4x teleconverter) and think I may be doing something incorrectly.

Have any other Canon 7D users achieved speeds this fast with the combination mentioned using fresh batteries in both the strobes and camera?

I could be mistaken but I count approx 13 strobe flash fires in a row in a span of about 7 seconds which is almost 2 per second (*0:09 to 0.16 on the video time).
I seem to be getting about 1 flash per second.

I have ensure that the onboard flash settings are set to manual and multi-flash with the power discharge adjusted in cutom settings. The camera is set on high speed continuous shooting as well. The strobes are set to low.
I am unsure if this is an onboard camera flash issue and recharge or the strobe recharge time which is limiting the speed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil Mercurio

#2 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:15 AM

Dear All,

I saw this awesome video some time back:

Posted by Ryan Canon at Reef photo and video, optical strobe firing, manual flash at 1/128

I am trying to gain some intial knowledge and experience with my wide angle setup (*Canon 7D, tokina 10-17 and Kenko 1.4x teleconverter) and think I may be doing something incorrectly.

Have any other Canon 7D users achieved speeds this fast with the combination mentioned using fresh batteries in both the strobes and camera?

I could be mistaken but I count approx 13 strobe flash fires in a row in a span of about 7 seconds which is almost 2 per second (*0:09 to 0.16 on the video time).
I seem to be getting about 1 flash per second.

I have ensure that the onboard flash settings are set to manual and multi-flash with the power discharge adjusted in cutom settings. The camera is set on high speed continuous shooting as well. The strobes are set to low.
I am unsure if this is an onboard camera flash issue and recharge or the strobe recharge time which is limiting the speed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil Mercurio

Hi Phil,

Check your camera first - wireless off, manual, 1/128, 1st curtain and 2nd work, servo AI set on af-on back button only. I have no problems with 2-3/second, even with battery on half, just checked it. with hi speed fps and the 5fps setting.

Id bet strobes myself, manual and lowest setting, can never remember whether button in or out for pre-flash.

Otara

#3 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I will check the camera settings and a full battery again with the settings mentioned.
Cheers,
Phil

#4 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

It looks to me (in that video) that the flash strength is set quite low... So either on very low power, or possibly ttl. With an open lens in a bright room, the output from the strobes would be minimal, so the recycle time would be very fast...

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1580 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think (actually it says) they are shot on manual strobe at 1/128 power. Doing that, no issue at least with my Z240 strobes.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net