3 replies to this topic

#1 Albin L

Albin L

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi
I am going 3 weeks to Tahiti for diving / sightseeing and I am planning to buy some photo gear.

I hestitate between (i) the go pro Hero 2 that I can take diving and (ii) a good snorkling camera, like the new olympus tough TG1 (although it seems impossible to find in stores...)
Obviously, I cannot go below 10m with the snorkling one, but I can probably take much better picture in shallow waters. I though that maybe the go pro without a flash is "so bad" that anyway there won't be enough light to take pictures below 10m, so the fact that it can go deeper won't get me nice pictures.
What do you think ? (one alternative could be to buy the flash for go pro, but I like the "easyness" of the go pro alone). Are "high end" snorkling cameras much better than go pro at 0-10m ?

I first wanted to buy a big case for my soon-to-buy 4/3 Olympus mini pen, but besides the price, I am afraid to break it underwater + harder to handle + will be heavy to move around during my long honey moon

Thanks !

Cheers

Albin

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

The Hero 2 is a video device. The Oly is a camera.
Trying to compare apples and oranges perhaps.
You wanting video or photo's?
Since you have no knowledge of u/w photography, no gear, no time to learn, it would seem the easiest approach might be best.
The GoPro with a color correction filter, in a housing with a flat glass would be easy. Switch it on and cruise around doing your best. No lighting to mess with and try to aim, nor to purchase and haul around.
BACKSCATTER or similar business can set you up with one phone call and not too steep of charge on your credit card.
You could take enough video to have pleasant memories of the grand event.

Your flag is France and I have no idea of the best place there for selection.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 Albin L

Albin L

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Thanks a lot
And do you think I should use the external lamp sola 500 when I dive below e.g. 15m to have some light:

http://www.backscatt...rter2-pkg.lasso

I am afraid that one light is not enough due to 60 angle wheras Gopro angle is much wider (and 2 lights become definitely too bulky)

Regarding photo vs. video, well, the idea is to take "nice things", either in video or photo. I have read a few times that amateur video underwater with gopro can gets you "sick" / not nice to watch as there is just too much tilting around

Albin

#4 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

I wouldn't get a Gopro.

get a canon s100 in the canon housing and grow from there. It can shoot video and do stills at a much better quality then the gopro which has a tiny lense and it shows.

I have one and never use it nowadays, it always looks grainy below 10m so lights won't help to much.....

compare that to this- (this not my video it is off utube and is probably enhanced)

The real thing you need to decide is are you a stills man or a rolling clip man?
Either way you will spend lots and the video gear is heavy and bulkier tthen stills.

I think the video coming out of stills camera is improving rapidly, so buy the little point and shoot get the bug, sell it and buy a real setup when your knowing something about what you want to do.

Edited by DamonA, 24 July 2012 - 05:24 PM.