Photo
- - - - -

Using a 5D Mark II in a 5D classic housing (Ikelite)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kari Post

Kari Post

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:nature, the outdoors, adventures of all kinds, backpacking, swimming, photography, writing, conservation, education

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

Is it possible to modify an Ikelite 5D housing to fit a 5D Mark II and/or use a 5D Mark II in a classic 5D housing (Ikelite) with some limitations? What are the primary differences between the two housings?

Thanks!
Kari Post
www.karipost.com

#2 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Is it possible to modify an Ikelite 5D housing to fit a 5D Mark II and/or use a 5D Mark II in a classic 5D housing (Ikelite) with some limitations? What are the primary differences between the two housings?

Thanks!

Kari,
I'm not an expert on the original 5d but I do have a mark ii ikelite housing. You for sure would be missing the functions for most of the video functions. I also believe the left hand buttons, like menu, info, play button are off slightly. Also the LCD screen is bigger on the mark ii. I would say that doing a retrofit would be difficult if not impossible. Now that the mark iii is out and the housing are coming out....including ikelite, I would expect to see quite a few used ones come up for sale in the next couple months. Just keep an eye out in the classified ads on wetpixel, scubaboard or eBay. Hope that helps.
Good luckDustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#3 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hi Kari,

Yes, you can- I've done it and the housing is still working fine. It took a day or so with access to a workshop- details and pics are in this thread
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#4 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi Kari,

Yes, you can- I've done it and the housing is still working fine. It took a day or so with access to a workshop- details and pics are in this thread

WOW! That is impressive! That would scare the hell out of me. Of course, I am not the slightest bit handy. LOL!

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube