#1 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thought I would try the 'slo mo' feature on my Sony. Juvenile Sweetlips move so fast and are so small, it's very difficult to film them satisfactorily. I was pretty pleased with the result.

[vimeohd]44190785[/vimeohd]

Kaj

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yes, they are very difficult to follow when filming. The slo mo did a great job on it. Your depth of field appears to be quite small. Were you using your lights as it did appear a bit dark to my old eyes?
Glad you posted this.
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 18 June 2012 - 04:35 PM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Wow, that's a crazy little fish! Your slo-mo did a great job slowing him down so we could actually see him.

The biologist in me wonders why these juveniles move like that? Surely it can't be to avoid predation because they're staying in the same place. And the movement is such an energy waster that the fish's calorie requirement must skyrocket. Does anyone know what's up with these sweetlips?

-Gina

#4 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yes, they are very difficult to follow when filming. The slo mo did a great job on it. Your depth of field appears to be quite small. Were you using your lights as it did appear a bit dark to my old eyes?
Glad you posted this.
Steve

I did use lights, but I'm turning the exposure down to try to avoid flaring the whites out. Those pesky white stripes don't like light shinning on them :lol: I'll keep trying and see if I can get better stuff for old eyes.... The DOF is tiny as I'm just about full zoom and their rapid motion makes it very difficult for anything to retain focus..

Wow, that's a crazy little fish! Your slo-mo did a great job slowing him down so we could actually see him.

The biologist in me wonders why these juveniles move like that? Surely it can't be to avoid predation because they're staying in the same place. And the movement is such an energy waster that the fish's calorie requirement must skyrocket. Does anyone know what's up with these sweetlips?

-Gina

I wonder this too!! They move so quickly they must burn so much energy, and they move continuously, never stopping. Occasionally I see them eat a small particle from the water. I read that perhaps they mimic a flatworm swimming, but it must be a flatworm on crack if this is the case....

Kaj

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I suppose that rapid movement might be to confuse predators. Doesn't look much like a flatworm to me.

What framerate does that camera use for slow motion (i.e. what ratio of overcrank)? Is it in a burst?

#6 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

I suppose that rapid movement might be to confuse predators. Doesn't look much like a flatworm to me.

I read that in the DeLoach/Humann Fish ID book, so it must be true :lol:

What framerate does that camera use for slow motion (i.e. what ratio of overcrank)? Is it in a burst?

It does a burst, I think. It takes 3 secs of action at 240fps, buffers it, then plays it back a 60fps, giving me a 12 sec clip. It outputs at 1920x1080, the bitrate seems the same as my other clips, but it definitely downgrades a little. But it works well for a little fun :)

Edited by liquidguru, 19 June 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

great stuff, you would think he would get tired pretty quick swimming around like that :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I love how his nose and tail are transparent. My dive guide used to call him "the wiggly-bum fish". :-)

#9 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

It is certainly burning more calories than I do!

Nice video Kaj.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#10 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Once again Kaj - nicely done. I love this one because it is fun. Keep them coming.

Diverpam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation