Wide angle zooms for Nikon D800

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

I'm using D700 & 17-35 with Zen 230 port but I still have problem with soft focus around the edge of my frame. Do I need diopter to solve the soft focus?

Unfortunately, if I understand the thread properly, that might be as good as it gets. The 16-35mm, despite being a less well-specified lens, seems to work better behind a dome.

#22 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Unfortunately, if I understand the thread properly, that might be as good as it gets. The 16-35mm, despite being a less well-specified lens, seems to work better behind a dome.

By less well specified, do you mean just the maximum aperture? In other respects it is probably better 'specified' particularly for digital. Remember the 17-35 was developed in the film days. The reason the 16-35 behaves better behind a dome may have to do with the way the light is collated more specifically for digital sensors. I'm not sure I see the real differences topside between the 2 lenses, and in fact gave my 17-35 to a friend and don't miss it. The 16-35 also has VR.

Edited by loftus, 26 October 2012 - 05:27 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#23 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

By less well specified, do you mean just the maximum aperture?

Basically, although the construction of the 17-35 seems a little more rugged, too. You're right about the rest, the 16-35mm seems to be the one to house, even if it's not without problems and needs a big dome.

#24 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Does anybody have experience with the Sea@SEA D800 housing and the best extension to use with the S&S fisheye domeport for the nikon 16-35?
Peter

#25 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hi pdemaagt,

I have heard two person who use 40mm + 40mm extension rings behind the big S&S fisheye 240 domeport. If I am not wrong S&S have also aproved this combo know! The pictures I have seen with this setup is perfect!
Anyone know if someone use Sea&Sea Optical domeport and the sigma 15mm fisheye direct on the MDX800 housing without extensions? Would be nice if it works without vignetting.

#26 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

I tried an optical dome port with a 20mm extension and the Sigma 15 on a Nauticam D800 and it vigettes the sunshade pretty well. I think that dome is going to be too small for it.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#27 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

Hi pdemaagt,

I have heard two person who use 40mm + 40mm extension rings behind the big S&S fisheye 240 domeport. If I am not wrong S&S have also aproved this combo know! The pictures I have seen with this setup is perfect!
Anyone know if someone use Sea&Sea Optical domeport and the sigma 15mm fisheye direct on the MDX800 housing without extensions? Would be nice if it works without vignetting.

Thanks!!
Practically it would mean I will add the Extension Ring 40 and the SX extension ring.....I don't have two 40's :-)
Peter