48 replies to this topic

#41 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Now, lets talk horse collar BCs. Anyone for a Fenzy? I still have a couple.

And I still have a couple of friends who still use them.

I saw someone with a Fenzy soon after I learned to dive and thought it was a good idea. However, other divers at the time told me they were dangerous.

I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous, and I wasn't allowed to use mine feed without training.

Those were the days......
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#42 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2101 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous...

Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest, 29 June 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#43 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

Tim

;)

Too long I sometimes think! My Spiro's long gone (punctured beyond economic repair) thank heavens (those crotch straps were a menace) but my Sea King is now my travel BC, although its lost its pockets (couldn't get things in and out) and acquired a second d/f where the cylinder feed used to be (originally for HSE purposes). Well faded of course, but still working and still on its original bladder.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#44 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's looking like I should have included a "front inflation" option for you die-hard horse collar folks ;)

I started in 1983 and fortunately only dove with a horse collar BC twice.
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#45 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I dove with the Fenzy from about 81 to 88. We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10 and seal them up with a ton of Aqua Seal. Always had the little tank between it and my chest but didn't often use it. I never used or had the CO2 cartridges but since I learned on the Fenzy I was quite happy. One can not miss what they've never had. Actually, only bought a ScubaPro Classic BC in place of the Fenzy because I had joined the Sheriffs Dive Team and they insisted that I have one. I certainly didn't think of them as dangerous and still don't. I think someone told me that, brand new, they cost $600 which was an awful lot of money back in the early 80's.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#46 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10

I bought one last year for 3 - perhaps still just about usable but I gave it to a friend for his dive gear collection.

#47 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I am all for wings....

I add a 1kg weight on the lower tank strap to balance the camera and give me a slightly better angle to look through the viewfinder which as an upside helps me from pitching forward even in large swells. However, i generally lean back and float like an otter with my camera resting on my chest! and another advantage of the wing - no buckles clips etc.. to do anything to the camera. and with a stainless steel backplate unless i am in a thicker suit than a 5mm - no additional weighting required!! :) i normally dive in a 3mm or a 5/4/3 suit so it is just about perfect.
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#48 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

#49 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

Most DSLR's are negative to begin with, so when you add bouancy to the strobe arms to make your rig neutral, the bottom of the housing is the COG point anyhow.