Photo

How long can I keep my housing sealed without affecting the o-rings?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hey!

OK, I'm going to be doing some local diving this weekend and the lake we're heading to is remote to say the least (2-3 hours of 4x4ing down the treacherous trails). Since services will be non-existent out there, I want to keep things as simple as possible with my Rebel XTi / Ikelite setup.

Ideally, I want to get everything ready in the comfort and cleanliness of my home, seal up the rig, and keep it sealed until we get back. That would mean 36 hours or so of full-time squeeze on the o-rings. I know not to keep the rings compressed for long-term storage but I don't know what 'long-term' is defined as.

Any thoughts?

m.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1530 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hey!

OK, I'm going to be doing some local diving this weekend and the lake we're heading to is remote to say the least (2-3 hours of 4x4ing down the treacherous trails). Since services will be non-existent out there, I want to keep things as simple as possible with my Rebel XTi / Ikelite setup.

Ideally, I want to get everything ready in the comfort and cleanliness of my home, seal up the rig, and keep it sealed until we get back. That would mean 36 hours or so of full-time squeeze on the o-rings. I know not to keep the rings compressed for long-term storage but I don't know what 'long-term' is defined as.

Any thoughts?

m.

No worries on that regard. Think about all the o-rings in your housing that stay compressed for years and you should conclude that this will not be a problem.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Carry your camera system in a soft-pack cooler. A 24-pac works well for my Nexus system. Great for protection & can be used as a mini rinse tank.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#4 TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Carry your camera system in a soft-pack cooler. A 24-pac works well for my Nexus system. Great for protection & can be used as a mini rinse tank.

Good call. I'll grab my housing and shop around.

Thanks!

m.

#5 jackdiver

jackdiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

36 hours is not long term.

Think years, not hours...
Nikon D7000, Nauticam housing, YS-110 x 2.

#6 Dunadin

Dunadin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

A couple days at room temp are no problem at all. You'll need to heat the o-rings to about 200-250F before compression set becomes a concern.

Sergio Lucato
Canon 50D, Ikelite Housing, 2xDS-160

#7 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

I dive primarily in fresh, clear water. I tend to assemble my stuff and use it for weeks. So far so good...

If I was in salt, I don't think I wold feel the same way...

#8 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

so if you dive to like 40m, how much greater pressure is on those o-rings then in normal ATP?
it's no brainer, probably like 40years! but hey not expert..you could be contaminating your oring with diesel fumes.....