5 replies to this topic

#1 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello,
I own a Canon T3i and I am just saving up to buy a housing for it. Most likely it will be Ikelite or Sea&Sea.
I am looking for a lens primarily for underwater video and wide angle since I will be getting the Canon 60mm for macro.
Price definitely makes a difference so if you could give me some insight on some lenses in the lower price range it would be much appreciated.
Any input is helpful.
Thank you very much in advance,
Sergei

#2 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

The Tokina ATX 10-17 wide angle fish eye and the Canon 60mm macro are probably the first go to lenses but the Canon 18-55 kit lens will still get you going. A strobe is likely to improve your images more than even the most expensive lens.

Edited by Balrog, 22 June 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#3 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

The Tokina ATX 10-17 wide angle fish eye and the Canon 60mm macro are probably the first go to lenses but the Canon 18-55 kit lens will still get you going. A strobe is likely to improve your images more than even the most expensive lens.

Thank you Balrog for taking the time to reply to my post.
Do you know if the 10-17mm lens is also good for shooting video on land? I have heard from some people about some kind of "linear distortion" and that it might not be the best option??
Thanks again,

#4 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I prefer to use the Canon 10-22 for video as I find the barrel distortion of the Tokina very distracting especially when panning or swimming through the shot. The Tokina is of course, the wide angle lens of choice for underwater stills and is made even more versatile with a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter. You'll also find it very difficult the light the whole field of view of the Tokina which is 180 degrees diagonal, whereas good lighting is very achievable with the Canon. FWIW, the Canon is also a very good lens for stills and is my lens of choice when shooting sharks and pelagics with a 7D.

Edited by Timmoranuk, 23 June 2012 - 10:25 PM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#5 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I prefer to use the Canon 10-22 for video as I find the barrel distortion of the Tokina very distracting especially when panning or swimming through the shot. The Tokina is of course, the wide angle lens of choice for underwater stills and is made even more versatile with a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter. You'll also find it very difficult the light the whole field of view of the Tokina which is 180 degrees diagonal, whereas good lighting is very achievable with the Canon. FWIW, the Canon is also a very good lens for stills and is my lens of choice when shooting sharks and pelagics with a 7D.

Thanks for your input, that is what I was worried about. I looked at a couple of videos with the 10-22 and it seems less "distracted" than the Tokina...

#6 Dunadin

Dunadin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'd throw the Tokina 12-24 into the mix. I've never used it for video, but I use it a lot for stills both u/w and topside and have been very happy with it. http://www.dpreview....ina_12-24_4_n15

Sergio Lucato
Canon 50D, Ikelite Housing, 2xDS-160