#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hi Crew,

Thought I'd share this

"Lonesome George, the last remaining tortoise of his kind and a conservation icon, died on Sunday of unknown causes, the Galapagos National Park said. He was thought to be about 100 years old."

Full article

Posted Image
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 Kimmeineche

Kimmeineche

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Stereo/3D Underwaterphoto/video-graphy, Marinelife and archaeology, diving and building cameraequipment.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

Sorry to read that another specie has left the planet! :-(

If my mind remembers right, I saw a dokumentary years ago, that told us about a tortoise that could be about 250years old? It should even had been allive at the time of Napoleon..... unfortuanetly I don't remember the name of the film but I'm quite sure it was a BBC production!

May you RIP dear George!

Kim Meineche!

Hi Crew,

Thought I'd share this

"Lonesome George, the last remaining tortoise of his kind and a conservation icon, died on Sunday of unknown causes, the Galapagos National Park said. He was thought to be about 100 years old."

Full article

Posted Image

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Wow, this one surprised me. Thought he'd live forever. Glad I got to meet him a couple of times, the first time he was amazingly active that time. Still have my Lonesome George tank top from 94.
RIP
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Remaining relic of oligocene period circa 20-30 million years... astounding thought as I sit here typing on my smartphone via wifi..

#5 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Reminds me of Tu'i Malila, the Madagascar tortoise given to the Tongan royal family by Captain James Cook in 1777. Tu'i Malila was a veritable member of the royal family until his death in 1965. Quite a life.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Wow, that's considerably older than Lonesome Geoge was. I do recall the Capt. Cook story a bit regarding the tortoise. Where did Tu'i reside during most of that time? England?
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wow, that's considerably older than Lonesome Geoge was. I do recall the Capt. Cook story a bit regarding the tortoise. Where did Tu'i reside during most of that time? England?
steve

I think remained with the Tongan royal family at the "palace" in Nuku'alofa, though he was probably in Ha'apai in the early years because that's where the royals were based back then, IIRC.

Julia Whitty wrote a really nice piece of historical fiction about Tu'i Malila, tracking him and the royals through multiple generations and (obviously) quite a bit of change and cultural upheaval in the kingdom. There was one poignant scene of him trying to mate with nesting sea turtles that had come ashore. It was in Harper's magazine about 12 years ago—can't access it without a Harper's subscription—but I think she published a book of essays that goes by the essay's title, "A Tortoise for the Queen of Tonga." A fellow Peace Corps vol gave me the essay when I first arrived in Tonga.

Supposedly Tu'i's dried-out body is on display at the Tongan National Center, which is a small museum not far from Nuku'alofa, on the main island.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Since Tu'i lived so much longer than George, I wonder if they will do a necropsy to discover why he passed away when he was barely middle aged.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas