2 replies to this topic

#1 D_Boy

D_Boy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

I have some problems with recycling of the strobes. It takes 30 sec – 1 min before the strobes is ready for a new flash. The “ready” indicator shows OK all the time, but If I fire two shots within less that 30 sec, the strobes will not fire on the second shot. If I turn the camera on off and on again, the strobes is ready right away, and I’m able to take pictures as quick as I can turn the camera on/off.

I have new battery packs for the strobes.

Equipment:

Nikon D3

Subrtonic MIDI, battery packs in the arms

Subal housing with 2x single sync cords to the strobes

Do anyone have an idea to what’s wrong?

Brgds

Oystein

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

It is tempting to say "yea it is Subtronic - that is the problem" but guessing that may not be seen as helpful.....

Sounds to me as if the camera electronics is coming in to play, I.E. the camera 'thinks' the strobe is not yet 'ready'.

To confirm this fire the strobe disconnected from the camera by shorting out the appropriate pins on the connector, if it does fire whenever the ready light is on then it must be cable or camera setup.

If you are trying to use TTL then I would say that this is most certainly the case.

Could also be the cable again if using TTL that is quite possible.

Think also that on my D300 there are some plug changes in the housing for manual / TTL ( I only set it to manual and ran away as TTL was not for me ), might be worth checking if that is similar in the D3 (bet it is).

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 D_Boy

D_Boy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

It is tempting to say "yea it is Subtronic - that is the problem" but guessing that may not be seen as helpful.....

Sounds to me as if the camera electronics is coming in to play, I.E. the camera 'thinks' the strobe is not yet 'ready'.

To confirm this fire the strobe disconnected from the camera by shorting out the appropriate pins on the connector, if it does fire whenever the ready light is on then it must be cable or camera setup.

If you are trying to use TTL then I would say that this is most certainly the case.

Could also be the cable again if using TTL that is quite possible.

Think also that on my D300 there are some plug changes in the housing for manual / TTL ( I only set it to manual and ran away as TTL was not for me ), might be worth checking if that is similar in the D3 (bet it is).

Paul C

Thanks Paul for your advices,

Just for your info, all shots are taken with manual setting. I have not checked if this problem occur with TTL settings. I will try to change the connector inside the house to see if this affect the result.

Again thanks.

Oystein