Travel to PNG

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am planning a trip to dive the Eastern Fields on the Golden Dawn out of Port Moresby. I would like to know which gateway Wetpixelers have been using? I can get to Sydney fairly cheap but wonder if there is a better route from LA or San Fran to a place that Air Niugini flys?

I would like to get to Port Moresby a couple days early but there doesn't appear to be much to do and just staying in an expensive hotel just to get over jet lag doesn't sound appealing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Singapore and Tokyo Narita for us. It really depends on your scheduled boat dates. It got there one way and came back the other. I don't remember which. Surprisingly not a bad flight considering the length.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

My last trip, March this year, we flew from Brisbane on an am Air Nguini flight. We connected directly. We stopped over in Port Moresby on the way back but only because we had to because of flight times - the city is terrible and the cost of hotels ridiculous, unless you are on expenses I guess.
If you want a couple of days to drop jet lag then stay somewhere else - Brisbane or wherever.

Sony a6000 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes
www.nudibranch.org/

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Another (not so well known) option is Manila. The direct flight to Port Moresby is 5 hours. You can get good deals from SFO to Manila on PAL.

If I am not mistaken, there are also direct flights from Detroit to Narita, then from there its 4 hours to Manila.

#5 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Try not to go via AUS as there is usually an over night and you'll have to drag all your luggage back and forth unless you can find a locker at the airport.. Also, Moresby hotels are pushing US$200/night.

Last year, we went: LAX/Sing/POM/Alotau. Over nighted in Sing at the airport and only had to schlep bags in Morseby on transfer from international to domestic flights.

If you need to kill time, do it in Sing.

Only thing worth while in Moresby is National Museum and a quick shopping stop in the "PNG Arts & Crafts Wharehouse". Take a taxi to here from the airport and have them wait for you. Do NOT wander around the town or the local market!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#6 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the advise everyone.

I have heard that Port Moresby isn't the safest place for a stroll.

I would like to kill some jet lag for a day or two, Craig from the Golden Dawn recommended Loloata Resort a short cab ride out of town. Anyone been there?

Looking on trip adviser it doesn't sound like there is a good place to stay in town, like you guys say very expensive...
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#7 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I would like to kill some jet lag for a day or two, Craig from the Golden Dawn recommended Loloata Resort a short cab ride out of town. Anyone been there?

Looking on trip adviser it doesn't sound like there is a good place to stay in town, like you guys say very expensive...

Last Dec/Jan i combined a trip to the Eastern fields with a couple of days at Loloata.(I posted a trip report on wetpixel)
I flew from Cairns to Port Moresby on Qantas. Flight was ok price and is short (just over an hour). There are several flights each day between Cairns & PM.
Cairns would be a nice place to chill out for a couple of days to recover from jet lag. Hotels in Cairns will be better value compared to Brisbane/Sydney/Port Moresby. Hotels in PM are now approx $250-300 per night!!!

I was not too impressed with Loloata, 2 nights & 2 pre booked dives cost approx $650. Diving was average. Accom/food was ok (for PNG standards, pretty basic). Would definately recommend the a/c rooms as it was very hummid.
GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#8 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Try not to go via AUS as there is usually an over night and you'll have to drag all your luggage back and forth unless you can find a locker at the airport..

Ditto. I've heard stories about flights in/out of AUS having severe baggage limits, so that's another reason to avoid bouncing through there.

If you need to kill time, do it in Sing.

Changhi Airport in SIN is fabulous. Lots of stuff to do and a transit hotel inside the security area if you have a long layover. Caution! When I was there in January we left the airport to have lunch with a local friend. When we returned we discovered the Air Niugini check-in counter didn't open for another couple of hours (it only opens a few hours prior to the flight) so we had to kill time before we could get our boarding passes and be allowed back into the security area.

Another (not so well known) option is Manila. The direct flight to Port Moresby is 5 hours.

The January trip was made on China Air (who are great) and Air Niugini. On the way there we flew SFO-Taipei-Singapore-POM, and on the way home it was POM-Manila-Taipei-SFO. The way home was more direct and faster and that way we didn't have to overnight in Port Moresby. But the Manila airport is crowded and pretty much a sh*thole; it's considered one of the worst airports in the world, so be careful.

-Gina

#9 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

LA-Brisbane-POM is simple and "fast. Loloata is super nice if you are looking for a upper $ place and if you have time you can do some great diving from there. In POM, Airways hotel is nice and swanky place to stay (but if you don't want to spend that kind of $ to stay there, its a nice place to just to visit as they have the nicest Coffee shop/Bistro in POM). For a place in town that is cheaper but nice, there is the hotel on Ela Beach. Don't believe all the crap about how dangerous POM is. It might not be safe to wander around at night alone or walk into a big crowd, and knowing where you are going is a good idea, but the bad rap POM gets is ridiculously undeserved and the dangers are hugely exaggerated. However, if you don't feel too adventurous, there is in fact more "soft landing activities"' to do in POM than just going the National Museum and the PNG Arts warehouse. If you have time arrange trip to Koki stilt-village or a trip to a local market to check out all the exotic fruits, the Buai and mud-crab vendors. On the weekends there is a great outdoors craft market at Ela Beach where you can check out all sorts of interesting art. At the University there is a Zoo where you can see a lot of the amazing fauna of PNG up close. If you are into the nightlife thing the popular spot to go to is Lamana night club, but its also a great lunch place. Then there is of course the famous Yacht club, which is actually a very nice place to visit for Food, drinks and views over the marina. Anyways, I hope you have fun - I really wish I was back there now ;)

#10 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

[quote name='Aquapaul' date='Jun 27 2012, 04:15 PM' post='311891']

If I remember correctly it is more like a 20 minute ride and then a short boat to the island.
Underwater Photography:

#11 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

[quote name='Marjo' date='Jun 27 2012, 09:15 PM' post='311908']
LA-Brisbane-POM is simple and "fast. Loloata is super nice if you are looking for a upper $ place and if you have time you can do some great diving from there. In POM, Airways hotel is nice and swanky place to stay (but if you don't want to spend that kind of $ to stay there, its a nice place to just to visit as they have the nicest Coffee shop/Bistro in POM). For a place in town that is cheaper but nice, there is the hotel on Ela Beach. Don't believe all the crap about how dangerous POM is. ................

Granted, it is not the Frederiksted Pier, but based upon multiple trips to PNG, I stand by my "crap".
Underwater Photography:

#12 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Two additions, based on personal experience over many years of flying through the Manila airport several times a month and visiting PNG on business 4 times a year:

The Manila airport is indeed awful, but there is a pay-in lounge on the second floor that is very nice for less than $20 which offers a small buffet and unlimited drinks, you would probably spend that on food and drinks outside anyway

Port Moresby is not a scenic or touristy town but it is safe, as long as you follow standard precautions. The recommendations for Ela Beach Hotel and the yacht club are spot on if you need to stay in town. The other hotels are way too expensive. But a layover in Cairns is much nicer . . .

#13 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Granted, it is not the Frederiksted Pier, but based upon multiple trips to PNG, I stand by my "crap".

Lol, well, Frederiksted is not a place to be wandering around at night, that' s for sure. Its actually a good example; we hear of the "horrible dangers" of places "abroad", but tend to forget about the fact that just about any city in the US is far more dangerous. Seriously, POM really doesn't deserve the bad. I base my opinions of my own few trips to PNG as well as that of my hubbys experience living in POM 2 years.

#14 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Is there a direct flight to POM from SIN now???

#15 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

These people might know:
http://www.singapore...com/saa/app/saa
Underwater Photography:

#16 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

These people might know:
http://www.singapore...com/saa/app/saa

Air Nuigini flies SIN-POM 4 days a week (and $$$). Not SQ.