• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxw

maxw

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Thanks in advance for looking at the photos : always welcome the chance to learn from you guys.
Max.

Attached Images

• DSC_5822b.JPG
  • DSC_6363b.JPG

#2 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

Well Max...my two cents...by all means take with a grain of salt...I am no expert.

The first one...potential...I mean..two morays interacting like this on a dive would get me very interested!!!
If I was doing this I would try to isolate the eels from the distracting background...rather than have the light falling straight at them...to me it looks like the light is a little flat..maybe angle your strobe to create some 'eel and shadow'..

Second one is actually well captured re: peak of the action..you have a seal blowing out his bubbles..try a black and white conversion and see what it looks like maybe??...I think the conditions were soupy the day you took this..so well done u for getting the image!
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I agree with Damo about these two images. I'll also add that it appears you were shooting down on the two eels. Next time try shooting either at their level, or if possible, shooting up towards them. If you can shoot up you'll have a chance at isolating the animals against the water column, then you can adjust your strobes & exposure to darken the background and highlight the eels. I look forward to seeing more photos!

-Gina