2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi there!

I got contacted by my friend running a dive operation in Panama if he can provide my pictures to a underwater magazine
for a article about Coiba and his dive shop.
I would like to grant the right for a single use of HiRes pictures to the dive magazine for a single use,
but i would like also to let them sign a contract that the pictures are under my sole copyright.
Is there somewhere a standard contract covering this issue?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 27 June 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi there!

I got contacted by my friend running a dive operation in Panama if he can provide my pictures to a underwater magazine
for a article about Coiba and his dive shop.
I would like to grant the right for a single use of HiRes pictures to the dive magazine for a single use,
but i would like also to let them sign a contract that the pictures are under my sole copyright.
Is there somewhere a standard contract covering this issue?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Try this;

For the consideration of X* the photographer grants YYY single use rights of ZZZ image(s) in one printed paper publication of MMM magazine. Copyright remains with the photographer. The photographer asserts their moral rights to be identified as the creator.

YYY = name of publisher
ZZZ = identifies your image(s)
MMM = name of magazine

*Without something in return, a contract - in the UK at least - is pretty worthless and unenforceable - hence the X in exchange. This could be a copy of the mag, money or dive kit...whatever you want in exchange...please do not say 'a credit' as this undermines moral rights and makes publishers think credits are something special to be traded. They are not, they are a right.

I can't think of anything more, and adding more adds complication. An email indicating acceptance of these terms from the publisher would be legally enforceable here in the UK...that's a contract.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thansk you so much DecoSnapper!
That was basically what i was looking for,
simple but says all!
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website