• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redgrouper

redgrouper

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I bought a fantastic Rolleimarin last year with the firm intention to use it.

I have tried it snorkelling last summer max 2/3m it seemed watertight but left a tiny bit of water in after 15/20mn in the water. It almost could have been mistaken for condensation if not for the salty taste of it. As a consequence I decided not to try it any deeper. I changed the main ruber seal but that did not change anything.

I have been told that I should see some “cup seals” inside the housing but can’t find anything of the sort. There is absolutely no information on the net about it. I know it is abit of an “exotic” subject but any help would be great !

#2 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have tried it snorkelling last summer max 2/3m it seemed watertight but left a tiny bit of water in after 15/20mn in the water. It almost could have been mistaken for condensation if not for the salty taste of it. As a consequence I decided not to try it any deeper. I changed the main ruber seal but that did not change anything.

I have been told that I should see some “cup seals” inside the housing but can’t find anything of the sort. There is absolutely no information on the net about it. I know it is abit of an “exotic” subject but any help would be great !

contact Franz Rothbrust at fr@pro-toy.de

Franz is a member of a recently formed Rolleimarin Group

#3 liquidoceans

liquidoceans

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

Introducing myself: liquidoceans
new user to Wetpixel and need to reply to a post before posting myself.
Regards, Veruschka.

#4 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

You could do what I did for years with my Rolleimarin ... dive with a sanitary napkin taped to the bottom of the housing to soak up all the water that inevitably got in through the seals.

Paul Tzimoulis used to call his the "bowling ball" for the way it rolled across the deck in a rough sea. Jerry Greenberg used his successfully for years, but as he tired of only 12-exposures per dive he began to use the Rolleikin 35mm adapter. Doug Faulkner made a career from his. I still have two of them, but haven't tried them in years. Bernie Campoli, FLAFROG, must have a LOT of Rolleimarin stories he could tell too. Good luck with yours.

Screen_Shot_2012_06_30_at_4.18.55_PM.jpg

Edited by StephenFrink, 30 June 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#5 redgrouper

redgrouper

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

contact Franz Rothbrust at fr@pro-toy.de

Franz is a member of a recently formed Rolleimarin Group

Thank you I will do that today, would have sooner but your post was momentary lost during the forum attack.

You could do what I did for years with my Rolleimarin ... dive with a sanitary napkin taped to the bottom of the housing to soak up all the water that inevitably got in through the seals.

Paul Tzimoulis used to call his the "bowling ball" for the way it rolled across the deck in a rough sea. Jerry Greenberg used his successfully for years, but as he tired of only 12-exposures per dive he began to use the Rolleikin 35mm adapter. Doug Faulkner made a career from his. I still have two of them, but haven't tried them in years. Bernie Campoli, FLAFROG, must have a LOT of Rolleimarin stories he could tell too. Good luck with yours.

Does it mean that I should not be alarmes and that the slow leaks at 2 meters won't get worse at 30m? If it is the case I'd gladly live with the napkin stuck on the bottom. Thanks for the tip.

My real puzzle is that I can't locate any (except the two big rubber ones) and I am wondering if they have been taken out by the previous owner but in this case wouldn't the water be gashing in? Or maybe it is just that they are deep down inside the parts and I haven't gone far enough to find them?

Re. The Rolleikin, I think it would be a pity not to use the medium format, I am used to the "only 12" issue, I will pick my shots. I am really looking for that fantastic "à la Ernie Brooks" silver feeling.
I'll take my father's Nikonos IVA with me to pack more shots in. BTW is Tmax 3200 a good idea to use in the Nikonos (I'll use Tmax 400 in the Rollei)? I have no strobe and will be shooting with the light that is naturally available.

Lot's of questions here, sorry ;-)

Edited by redgrouper, 10 July 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I attended a workshop with Erine Brooks a long time ago. He suggested using Tmax 100 or 200 and pushing it one stop. This increases contrast and the illusion of sharpness. I don't care much for Tmax 3200. Is TriX film still avaiable?
Bob
P.S. I have a Rolli, but haven't the guts to house it.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#7 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Redgrouper,
While Wetpixel was taking a nap,I emailed Steve Frink my tongue in cheek solution to the 12 exposure limit, he posted it on his facebook page, it appeared om July 1, also check Eric Cheng facebook page he picked up on Steve Frink's post, he posted on July 2, you will also see some interesting comments.

re: 12 exposure, in 1965 Kodak came out with 220 roll film,which worked in most cameras using 120 roll film, the problem was not all films were available,I don't know if and what would be available now days. There was a trick to using the 220 roll film in the Rollimarin,,once loaded the film advance is registered after that you could advance the film carefully and with practice and get 23-24 images per roll. processing 220 film was another challange if you haven't tried it.
It took the skill of a Nikkor reel Ninja to load the 220 film on the stainless steel Nikkor reels.