52 replies to this topic

#41 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Regarding the Nikonos V type single and dual sync cords, I have two Inon Z-220 strobes that have been in the field for well over twenty years and Z-240 strobes that have been in use for over six years now. I have moved over to using fiber optic cords in the past few years but prior to that I used dual Sea & Sea sync cords for many years with excellent results. When I did have a failure in the system if was always as a result of the cord and/or bulkhead connector, not the strobe.

I don't beleave that Inon has ever even sold a hard wired cord for the strobes and have always relied on Sea & Sea for cords.

Regarding the Sea & Sea YS-D1 I did a review on the strobe for Under Water Photography magazine (uwpmag.com issue #69) and I did not have the battery problem. I did use the strobes in manual quite a bit because that is my shooting style. While I thought the strobes did a good job I will continue to stay with the Inon strobes based on my past success in 1000's of dives with zero service issues. I would also highly recommend the color temp filters for wide angle use with the current Inon Z-240 D-2000 and S-2000 strobes. I have the 4900K -0.5 stop filters and I am sure that the 4600K filters work just as well.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 17 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#42 nortoda1

nortoda1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

really useful info Phil

cheers

Darragh

#43 nortoda1

nortoda1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Went to order the 4600K colour temp filters and Yuzo in Japan informed me that both the 4600K and 4900K are included with the strobes at no extra cost as part of an inon promotion. Thanks Inon :-)

#44 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Went to order the 4600K colour temp filters and Yuzo in Japan informed me that both the 4600K and 4900K are included with the strobes at no extra cost as part of an inon promotion. Thanks Inon :-)

With the Yen starting to weaken, this is a doubly interesting promotion...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#45 aandk

aandk

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

made a new post sorry

Edited by aandk, 18 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#46 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

I have two Inon Z-220 strobes that have been in the field for well over twenty years

Might be a typo here. I don't remember when the Z220 was released, but I think it is only about 10 years old?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#47 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

You are of course correct, I got the Z-220's in 2002.

Phil Rudin

#48 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

It sounds like that deal is only with purchase of new strobes - is Inon offering anything if you just want the filters for Inon strobes you already own?
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#49 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I only ever shoot in manual mode but I've just bought a second YS-D1 (total 2) to go with my three Z-240 because I was so impressed with the output of the YS-D1. However, I note that the modelling light of my first YS-D1 sometimes comes on at depth and there's nothing I can do to turn it off.

Edited by John Bantin, 03 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#50 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

You can take the batteries out John.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#51 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Alex, the water pressure makes it impossible to open the battery compartment although I agree if one could take the batteries out the modelling light would go off but recycling time would also be extended (until you dried the battery compartment out after the dive).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#52 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Jak, Dangerzone, and Jlyle,
Can you tell me if your strobes are within or outside of the range of serial numbers that were recalled?

Thanks

#53 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Jak, Dangerzone, and Jlyle,
Can you tell me if your strobes are within or outside of the range of serial numbers that were recalled?

Thanks

The two that I originally purchased in August that were replaced by Sea & Sea were within the recall range. The replacements that I received at the end of September, one of which blew a flash tube a few weeks ago, were not within the recall range.

Canon 5DMkIII, Nauticam NA-5DMKIII, 2x Inon Z-240