Photo
- - - - -

How long do you leave your housing closed?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hi gang!

So, what's your experiences with keeping your housings closed with the o-ring inside for extended periods of time; weeks, months, years?

I keep mine (Aquatica7D) closed with the o-ring inside to avoid getting dust into the housing- is it really that bad? Will I really increase the risk of flooding? ;)

Vote away-
Happy bubbles, Morten

Edited by MortenHansen, 29 June 2012 - 02:27 AM.

#2 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

Its one of those things, some say you should remove the 'O' ring to avoid 'forming' it (and potentially I suppose that this could just lead to a leak). But, whilst I would say that it might be 'good practice' to remove the 'O' ring, I often forget myself! Sometimes I do remove the 'O' ring which I then clean and store in a plastic bag inside the closed housing, but this is more so that I know that its been cleaned and just needs to be regreased and reinstalled, rather than because I feel its better for it to do so. And all this begs the question: what about all the non-user-serviceable 'O' rings; should they be removed too? And obviously the answer is no. What is probably far more important is to have a thorough soaking and drying regime after use, alongside an appropriate servicing schedule - which is actually rather a rarity as many underwater photographers don't service their housings until they start having problems in my experience.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#3 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

I donīt like leaving it closed for long periods of time but I rarely remove the o-ring. Hugyfot housings allow the owner to "half" close it, leaving the back part with a little room and play so the o-ring is not pressed, but closed against dust etc...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

Max. 1 day!

Tim

;)

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

Years ago, I was on a boat with a group of divers and I had a Subal housing that was closed by way of hexagonal bolts (like the Hugyfot today).

One said that I should not fasten the back too tightly while the other said that I should not leave my O-rings in the closed housing overnight.

(It was 1992. We were among the first to dive on the now very popular Red Sea wreck of the Thistlegorm.)

After our first dive, one complained that his housing had come apart underwater and the other said his O-rings would have done a better job had they not been still hanging on a hook in his cabin. Both lost their cameras.

You have to make your own decisions sometimes.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:44 AM

You have to make your own decisions sometimes.

There are old divers and there are bold divers...

... but only one John Bantin!

I remember when all divers had tales (some of woe, some of derring-do and some just strange): probably because the average British diver spent longer in the bar than in the water...

Tim

;)

#7 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think when O-rings were Nitrile there was a case for removing them as they did stay squashed after a while. Silicone O-rings are much more resistant to forming, so I would just leave the housing closed.

#8 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hi
After cleaning I remove the O ring, make it clean put in sealed bag till the next time I need it. Also I leave it out when flying,
I have never had problems. It is stored without the O. Ring in place.

Andy :B):

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#9 diverocket

diverocket

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi gang!

So, what's your experiences with keeping your housings closed with the o-ring inside for extended periods of time; weeks, months, years?

I keep mine (Aquatica7D) closed with the o-ring inside to avoid getting dust into the housing- is it really that bad? Will I really increase the risk of flooding? :B):

Vote away-
Happy bubbles, Morten

Hi Morten I do the same Keep my oring in close housing as you say to avoid dust ect ect. But it can be a good idea to first make checkdive whitout camera

kent

#10 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

Just to make sure that I can sleep well tonight I now removed all o-rings from ports, extensions and housing, cleaned them, greased them, and put them in zip-lock bags- I guess it won't do any damage to do so.. Posted Image

Edited by MortenHansen, 06 July 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#11 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Over 35 yrs designing u/w electronic housings & using several u/w still & video systems, I've always left o-rings in place with housing closed. No issues. O-rings have been buna-n (the black ones). Keep clean & a little silicone grease when required. If I bought something with colored o-rings (like S&S strobes) I changed their blue o-rings to buna. Your main concern is eleiminating dust or debris, not compression of o-ring. The more you play with the seals the more likely a potential problem.

Edited by jcclink, 06 July 2012 - 06:38 AM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#12 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Over 35 yrs designing u/w electronic housings & using several u/w still & video systems, I've always left o-rings in place with housing closed. No issues. O-rings have been buna-n (the black ones). Keep clean & a little silicone grease when required. If I bought something with colored o-rings (like S&S strobes) I changed their blue o-rings to buna. Your main concern is eleiminating dust or debris, not compression of o-ring. The more you play with the seals the more likely a potential problem.

I also have and had Nexus housings. At home, I do store the main housing separate in Ziploc bags, but this not likely necessary. When diving, I assemble and close everything the night before. I don’t take out the control o-rings, but do clean and grease the shafts. Pretty much an easy to maintain housing.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#13 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Compression set does happen with Nitrile o-rings much more so than with silicone. That being said, I think the timeframe for compression set (at 7-8% compression) is several months. When we were building fully implantable medical devices we had several failures that were due to compression set of seals which ultimately we changed from some buna-n type material to silicone. I wouldn't worry too much for a few days to a few weeks. Of course most of the o-rings that are on the buttons of your housing hardly ever get removed to relax but they are typically exercised at least occasionally.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#14 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I always leave my housing closed and my o-ring in. I found with my old Olympus, that the more I took it out and played with it, the more it stretched and I had trouble putting it back in. Five years with the Oly and two plus with the Sea & Sea, no problems so far. If I were putting the housing in checked luggage, which I never do, I would pull the o-ring in the interest of getting it open when I get there. My dry box was vacuum packed to the point that we had to penetrate the o-ring to get it open after a flight-and it wasn't latched.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#15 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

I have 2 main housing o rings.(and spares for that matter) One for storage and travel, and the other for diving. Never had a problem. I travel with the housing closed, and store it closed as well, using the same o ring. Then swap it out for my diving oring.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#16 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

I have 2 main housing o rings.(and spares for that matter) One for storage and travel, and the other for diving. Never had a problem. I travel with the housing closed, and store it closed as well, using the same o ring. Then swap it out for my diving oring.

Dustin

Why didn't I think of that! :) Have a spare o-ring in the cupboard- will give it a go, thanks a bunch! :)

#17 jswensva

jswensva

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

My $0.02 (and it's likely worth less) is leave it closed. I've never had a problem. Seems if there was a problem then we should all be pulling out bulkhead o-rings, sync cord o-rings, control button o-rings, viewfinder o-rings (assuming standard viewfinder), etc., etc. (realizing some are static v. dynamic).

Like I said, $0.02.
canon 5d mark ii, aquatica housing, 2x sea & sea 110a, canon 15mm, 17-40mm, 100mm IS, various and a sundry other bits & parts

#18 Jak Crow

Jak Crow

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, underwater photography, wildlife photography

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Plus you don't want dust getting into the case.

Please check out my photo gallery -

http://gallery.mom-is-a-terrorist.com

#19 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

Do all housing manufacturers ship with o-rings in place and cases closed?

#20 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

On my Nauticam GH2 housing, if I stay dry for more than a couple of weeks I remove the o-ring and I close the housing without it. So no dust and no compression.
I do always remove the port and I store in a plastic box. I never remove the port o-ring because the seat is completely round.
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/