8 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hi everyone!

The other day I looked at a few of my shots on the diving-center laptop, I was horrified to see that the images that look great on my Mac look bland and boring on the old Dell from the diving-center.

My exact issue is that the images look desaturated, that very slight vignetting put on in the adobe raw converter is clearly visible, and also there is a lot more backscatter to be seen in the shots.

I know that it is because of the different screens, I am just wondering, how many of you guys actually see these things? (desaturation, image manipulation & backscatter)

_MG_7368.jpg

Thanks for your feedback -Morten

#2 Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Now... the question that is really going to burn your brain; whose monitor is "right"?

;)

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

Depending on the angle of view there is no till a lot of backscatter to see.
But as Uli wrote, is the MAC Monitor right???
Pictures to publis online should be seen nice on all screens, not only special calibrated screens,
otherwise the may suck on "normal" users screens.
Calibrated or high-end screens make only sense of print production like using high-end speakers
for audio production may lead to bad quality on normal users desktop speakers.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Pictures to publis online should be seen nice on all screens, not only special calibrated screens,
otherwise the may suck on "normal" users screens.

I have to disagree: an image that looks good on a calibrated screen should still look good on any screen that hasn't become grossly out of adjustment, either in tone or gamma.

Web images look better in sRGB than Adobe RGB colour space, and that, in my experience, is more important than screen calibration when putting images onto the screen.

Yes, MAC gamma is different to PC gamma, but my money is on the Dell being dodgy...

Tim

:B):

#5 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have spent some time trying to understand this issue and as a result I have realised that I still have a lot to learn ;-)

How do you know that your normal Monitor is correctly showing your pictures? It might be overcorrected!
When you start to ask yourself this question. Then it is hightime to start to calibrate your Monitor!

However, a non calibrated Monitor is always dodgy. The question is just to which extent and in which direction!
Laptop Monitors are generally dodgier than desktop Monitors. ( Laptop Monitors are also more difficult to calibrate, due to lack of controls and being a bit weak on the brightness. )
Glossy Monitors are worse than Matte Monitors.
If you get yourself a Wide Gamut Desktop Monitor. Then you open a new can of worms!

Anyway, your issue is most likely normal. Take the same picture and look at it on as many uncalibrated Monitors as possible. You will see that there is a pretty big deviation of colors, vividness, brightness etc.

My assumption/solution is that a properly calibrated Monitor is more likely to be correct and in the middle of the Pack.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#6 sideshow_Gary

sideshow_Gary

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

whats a good way to check print to monitor calibration?

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

How many of you look at pictures printed in magazines under properly colour-balanced light? I bet most read by warm tunsten during the winter rather more than they do by daylight in the summer. With the preponderance of blue in underwater pictures, you'll miss a lot of good repro. It's the responsibility of the end user to give themselves the best conditions otherwise all books would be printed in a large font point-size for those who are less well-sighted!

Edited by John Bantin, 29 July 2012 - 12:14 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Have you thought of getting a Spyder Pro? It works great for calibrating your monitor.

#9 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

On my windows monitor (which it has to be said hasn't been re-callibrated for a few months) it needs around +1.5 stops and a touch more saturation to give it some punch but then I start to see backscatter unless the black is pulled up to the point where the dorsal starts to disappear.

I use a Colormunki btw