2 replies to this topic

#1 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

I searched the forums for this but turned up nothing. I am about to (gulp) resurface my acrylic Sea&Sea fisheye dome port using the MicroMesh kit. I want to know if it is possible to remove the shade from the port in order to reach the edges of the dome more easily. It looks like there are some screws that may allow me to do this, but I don't want to compromise the integrity of the port by doing something foolish that I cannot repair. Has anyone done this? Should I just proceed with the shade attached? I welcome all advice.

Randall
See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com

#2 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

I left my shade on. It makes it a little tougher to get to the edges where the shade is, but that's also the hardest place to scratch. It polished up just fine. Make sure not to concentrate on one area. My friend did that and he ended up with a flat spot and distortion. Work gently and evenly until the scratches are gone. Rinse frequently to check your work.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#3 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the advice Larry. I was very apprehensive about starting this project for the first time, and I wanted everything to be done right. I left the shade on, and shortly after I got started I realized this was not brain surgery. My port looks like new again and I am ready for the next time.
See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com