Would like to see better designed handles for vertical shooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Every time I am in the water shooting I can't help but to think that housing handles are the most ill designed components ever. Almost all of the shooting I do is vertical, but handles are designed for horizontal shooting. It would be really cool to have a continuous circular handle that went around the entire housing, like a mini steering wheel. An alternative woukl be to have at least one straight vertical bar. This could probably be rigged using ballmounts and an arm. But a wheel that would allow to comfortable grip the housing in any direction... Combined with strobe arm clamp system where the strobes could be slid around the wheel to clamp on in any direction.... Oh that would be the dream!

Edited by Marjo, 05 July 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#2 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sounds like a good project for the weekend! It is a shame that the handles encourage landscape orientation only, the only major issue that I see is that you wouldn't be able to reach the buttons, if you've got a solution for that one then i'm off into the workshop! :P

#3 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

+1
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#4 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

I think it's a good idea, but only if the hand you are going to move to the new handle is the left hand, if you move your right hand you cannot press the shutter release.
That might limit the vertical shots to only one position.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#5 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think it's a good idea, but only if the hand you are going to move to the new handle is the left hand, if you move your right hand you cannot press the shutter release.
That might limit the vertical shots to only one position.

Some kind of cable linkage to a secondary shutter trigger on your circular handle might do the trick...

#6 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

This is a really good idea! The vertical handles do contribute to a lot of wrist strain, don't they?

Maybe make both handles sort of large 'knobs' and have the right one (with shutter control cabled so the button is on the knob, not just projecting from the housing, more like with a pole-cam) constructed to 'rotate' against the housing frame? Maybe with a lock nut option so you can lock it down for handling (passing up to the boat or whatnot).

The left 'knob' you can grip wherever you want, and is stable so you use left wrist strength to position the camera how you want. The right knob you only ever 'grip' one way (to put the shutter button in the right position) but because it rotates you can hold the camera out straight in front of you when prone or get your elbows bent to right angles so your forearms are parallel to your body.

The knobs would still have to be connected to some sort of base (tray) so that would become a bit more of a beefy u-shape....strobe arm connection would become independent of handles, somewhat. Overall it would probably not be able to be more compact than current rigs...

I'm not sure a whole 'steering wheel' would be that great. Hard to 'get low and shoot up' with a big arc beneath you...I think you still want as little structure below the base of the camera as possible for those times when you are shooting from a prone position.

Edited by rtrski, 08 July 2012 - 06:08 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#7 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Bring back the Canon Marine Capsule A!! I used one for 13 years and it had the best setup for doing this:

Posted Image

The shutter release was under your thumb and there was a little catch nearby on the right side of the handle that allowed the entire housing to pivot around the top of the handle into the vertical position with no change in how you held the rig or released the shutter.

More pictures here:

http://canonfd.farah...neCapsuleA.html

Edited by Gudge, 08 July 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Imagine if the "uni-handle" was circular, a ring around the housing, and it had a cable running along the ring, threaded through loops along the way. The cable ends would both meet at one loop/pulley and terminate in one little loop that could be threaded over the shutter release handle. With a design around that idea you could trip the shutter from any point of the "uni-handle". This might have to be filed under "ideas hatched under influence of nitrogen narcosis", but this is what I found myself wishing for while prezeling myself for a pretty little frogfish.

#9 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Or... What if the right handle was "flippable", So you could rotate it 270degrees to point along the base of the housing rather than up the right side?