• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

One problem with custom domes, is finding suitable material for the dome shade. They can be machined from Delrin (expensive) or aluminium and then anodised, (also expensive). Finding black tube the right size is difficult.
This dome shade solution is virtually free and sufficiently robust for most purposes, and much lighter than, for example, the aluminium dome shade on the Nauticam 9" dome.
The dome itself is an 8" hemispherical cast acrylic dome made for a marine compass.
PeteAtkinson-2.JPG
It is glued to an acrylic base adapter that mounts to a Nauticam "10mm extension with screws". I use this dome for the 8-16mm Sigma and not a fisheye, which accounts for the size of the shade. For a fisheye, the shade would be much reduced in size.
Make a cardboard tube first and mount it to the dome. Mark the edges of what you can see with the lens at its widest setting while looking through the viewfinder to create the pattern.

PeteAtkinson-1.JPG The CAT oil drum is 2mm thick polythene and can be cut easily with a Stanley knife. I welded the edges together, not entirely satisfactorily, using a soldering iron and a stick of burning polythene.
PeteAtkinson-3.JPG
Once burned, the drips are brittle, so it is better to melt the edges together without burning. I clamped a steel ruler to the join so it remained reasonably straight. If I had a hot-melt glue gun here, I would try preheating the edges with a blowlamp and using hot melt glue.
I used 2mm cap head screws and washers to fasten the dome shade to the acrylic.
PeteAtkinson-4.JPG

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

Very clean finished product for a DIY, congrats!

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...