UV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Are uv filters any good underwater? or should i not bother getting it underwater?

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

No need for one underwater at all. I question the need for one above water as well, I always cringe at the idea of putting a $40 filter on the front of a $800 lens.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

No need for one underwater at all. I question the need for one above water as well, I always cringe at the idea of putting a $40 filter on the front of a $800 lens.
Bill

Posted Image

That's why I use one topside :)

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

That's why I use one topside Posted Image

Ouch, I try hard not to drop my camera, and topside I mostly keep it around my neck, not that I shoot much outside the studio anymore.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Luckily that's not my gear, it's a fellow whose blog I follow. I get out hiking a lot shooting nature and wildlife stuff, so sometimes slipping and falling or some other unforeseen event is inevitable. I sacrifice a very small degree of sharpness to the gods of paranoia...

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

I always cringe at the idea of putting a $40 filter on the front of a $800 lens.

I always cringe at the idea of not putting a $40 filter on the front of a $800 lens (actually an $80 filter and a $1200 dollar lens, but who's counting?).

Underwater, however, it's just not needed as the front element is protected by the port.

Tim

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

I guess I am in the poor minority here, not having any $1200 lenses and in thinking that filters degrade images. I think this is one of the minor things that people debate all the time but I have seen enough (not underwater) filter flare to think of filters like lenscaps, take them off before you take a picture. By the way, most UV filters don't filter much UV and you current lens will pass only a teeny tiny amount of UV anyway, but as Dr. Tim says, underwater it isn't needed anyway.

Bill

Edited by bvanant, 30 July 2012 - 05:11 PM.

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#8 sideshow_Gary

sideshow_Gary

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

we had a mix up with our lenses and we took a UV filter in the UW housing, but it pushed against the glass of the housing when focusing so it wouldn't allow us to focus on close or far away subjects.. very annoying!

#9 3ricj

3ricj

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Depends on what specific wavelength of UV ya'll are talking about, but it is readily absorbed by the water.