3 replies to this topic

#1 AnnettePapa

AnnettePapa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi All,

I'm so new to photography, both UW and topside. All advice helps... Im still waiting on my strobes, and I'm not able to expose much color in my shots. All our wrecks are 90-120' and I've been converting to black and white to get a bit more pop out of a greenish photo.

I'm just looking for general advice from whoever wants to help out.

Posted Image
AP_Caribsea-120701-1939.jpg by A_Papa, on Flickr
This was shot with my d7000 (sea and sea housing) with /nikor 16mm fisheye @ f/5.6 1/160 ISO400.

Thanks!!

Annette

#2 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Have you looked into filters for your rig to remove the green cast? You can also do the color correction in post.

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

to deep for filters... filters will only work down to about 16m?

nice sharks though..

the white balalnce selection tool in Light room or the capture software would be the way to go till the strobes show up.. or just enjoy B&W! :)
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#4 matt215

matt215

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Looks like a lot of particulates in the water, so strobes might not help in this case. What Alastair said. Shoot in RAW and color correct with editing software. You could also try custom white balance at depth. I did that on a shark dive in Fiji. They were feeding so there was lots of stuff in the water and strobes produced a lot of backscatter. I did a custom white balance and that seemed to help. Also get closer. With a fisheye you can just about have the dome touching the shark and still be ok. Still, the black and white works nice with sharks because they aren't that colorful anyway...
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website