4 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has flown with China Airlines (not air china) recently? Do they weigh the carry on's? Trying to get a full set of DSLR gear thru flying from LAX to Bali-DPS.
Thanks in advance.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1457 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

On our last trip to Indonesia with them, they did not weigh carry ons but we were in Business Class
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

It has been 6 years, but they did not weigh them, but they did eye-ball them. A guy came over and lifted one of the items and then let it go.

Since then, I have flown many times on EVA via LAX and they weighed my carry-ons regardless of class of service. I pre-pack as much gear as I can in a shooter's jacket. Then I pack the rest of the camera gear in the carry-on, up to 17lbs (7kg limit plus a little overage). I then place the fully loaded 19lb. (8.7kg) jacket in the carry-on. After we stroll over to the International terminal and right before check-in time, I open the carry-on and put the jacket on. Then we check in. They weigh the carry-on, put a sticker on it, and we then walk around the corner. I then place the jacket back in the carry-on bag before going through security.

I also carry a Lowepro laptop backpack. The first time I went through this, I took the two camera bodies with heaviest lenses and hung them around my neck so my backpack would also be close to the limit. But they never checked the backpack. They don't check backpacks that remain on your back.

Other than back pain, neck pain, and losing 2 inches of height, this technique has worked flawlessly, except once leaving Tonga.

China Air may not check, but it is always wise to be prepared.

Edit: They don't seem to care when leaving Bali.

Edited by scorpio_fish, 12 July 2012 - 06:42 AM.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 Bconno

Bconno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

I went to raja in feb of this year and they weighed both my checked and carry on. My dslr bag was much heavier than allowed and she told me I had to check it. I told her all photo equipment and she got her supervisor who tagged it that it was approved overweight carry on.
From that point (San Francisco intl.) no one weighed carry on, although I did see some people's looked at for size/weight on the domestic flights.

#5 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

To update this post. China airlines did want to weigh my carry ons in lax going to tpe. She asked to weigh them and I smiled and said I was way over. Explained it was underwater camera equipment, and she let me through. No checking in tpe.

Coming home from Bali, dps. They did not ask at all.

It may have helped that I have elite plus status with skyteam.

One other thing to note. The plane they used from dps to tpe. Was an interesting setup that I have not seen before. The front of the plane was not first class. And lacked overhead bins in the middle section...it was a 2x4x2 seating. So that made overhead rough. We paid a little extra going home to upgrade to the economy plus that had wider seats and a little more leg room. $70. And totally worth it. This section was in the middle of the plane, and did have overhead over the middle section. There was no first class on the plane.

Hope this helps for anyone else in the future.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube