• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Now that i have upgraded my setup, i am wondering wether i should use the image stabilisation function on the camera for macro shooting if using a tripod can't be done.
Does anyone else use this feature on there video camera?
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#2 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Pete
What did you upgrade to?
Cheers
Steve
My Video: Canon HF G10, Bluefin Pro housing, Fathom 90 WA/Flat Port, 2 x Sola 2000 Lights
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/swinkworth

#3 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hi Steve, i just purchased an almost brand new gates housing for a panasonic hvx200/202 with the swp44 wide lens.
Bought a camera for it last night so i am hoping that it arrives in time for my next trip to nelsons bay in about 2 weeks.
Would love to get it in the water up there.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#4 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi Pete,
If you have image stabilisation available, I would definitely use it. Or atleast try it out and find the best setting. Personally, I am very pleased with the IS feature of my video camera (Sony MC50). This causes me to hesitate upgrading to a DSLR setup because I am afraid I'll lose ergonomics and IS eventhough the optical image quality otherwise might improve a lot.
Best Regards, Richard

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hey Pete,
Different IS on different camera act very differently, best advice is to try it both ways and see which you prefer. Also when viewing the footage make sure you do it on a big screen so you can see if any weird wobbles / effects are caused.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure wether it was frowned upon or if it was ok to use it.
I will definitely have a play with it & see how effective it is.
Cheers pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

#7 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

Traditionally I've never used IS as you can get some nasty surprises on what would have otherwise been superb footage (micro bubbles or scratches on the lens that move around and would otherwise go unnoticed or vignettes from port shades are common examples). However I have been recently experimenting with a IS lens and so far I've been stunned by how good the results have been so I'm now planning to use it for a whole week shooting to see what it looks like. Just goes to show you never stop learning... :D

#8 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Now that i have upgraded my setup, i am wondering wether i should use the image stabilisation function on the camera for macro shooting if using a tripod can't be done.
Does anyone else use this feature on there video camera?
Cheers Pete.

With my Canon XF100, I usually leave dynamic stabilization turned on. It helps. The XF100 has a "power stabilization" setting but I don't use that as it is a bit too aggressive and can cause jerkiness in pans.

For macro shooting, stabilization is more difficult because the slightest movement effects the image in a big way. I find that a monopod is a good compromise. I have one mounted on a ball head under the housing. It stays out of the way until needed. Can be used horizontally on a reef wall or vertically on the sand or rocks. By using your body to push the monopod, it can become quite stable.

I use one of these mounted on a ball head: http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=5364

#9 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

Thanks guys,
Vignetting is something that i didn't think about Simon. Thanks for the heads up mate. I will certainly play around with it & see what works.
I figure the bigger housing will be alot more stable anyway but sometimes i need all the help i can get.
Jon, i will definately check it out on my big screen.
Pete, i have a gorilla pod that i use on my bluefin & love the flexibility but it looks like there is no way of attaching anything other than a Gates tripod to the housing.
Would love to use my gorilla pod.
The housing has a nice big foot that it sits on but this won't always be useful so i am looking at all options & thought IS might be a good option if it works.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user