• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have a Canon 7D in an Aquatica housing. I bought only one strobe to start with and went with a YS-110a. I’m now going to buy a second strobe. If I get a YS-D1 would it be a problem having a more powerful strobe on one side? Would I be better off getting another YS-110a so I have the same on each side?
Thanks.

#2 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I would get another YS110a. It is more comfortable to have symmetric configuration IMHO
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#3 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I asked this same question a couple of years ago... I had an Ike 161 and wondered about adding a second smaller strobe to save $$, weight and space. Someone wise on here, pointed out that the other advantage (apart from the symmetry mentioned above) is that you also gain some redundency... same charger/battery pack etc. If one of them dies, you have a second one that is just as good as the first etc.

Happy shopping!

Edited by Stoo, 13 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#4 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

All great reasons to have two of the same - I'll add that as you become familiar with how to manage the settings (if you use it in manual, particularly) on the one strobe, another copy should act the same, or at least very similar. No need to get to know another brand/size of strobe with different specifications like power and colour temperature.

Hope that helps.

Lee

#5 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Wow, that's rare to get the same answer from 3 people! Thanks!

Now another question: If I can get a reasonable price for my single YS-110a, would two YS-D1s be significantly/noticeably better for me?