6 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Wendel

Marcus Wendel

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hello all,

I've just returned from St Lucia where I took my first steps into the world of underwater photography as a diver. Obviously I have little idea about what I am doing at this stage but I've created a simple blog where I have posted some of the photos and videos I took and I would appreciate some feedback and suggestions on what to work on but keep in mind that I am very much a beginner and am finding it difficult do to the most basic things Posted Image
The address is http://www.divingiguana.com/

I am using a Sea&Sea DX-GE5 with the flash Sea&Sea YS-Q2 and I got a suggestion about the "Underwater" action for Photoshop Elements so I've used that on the images.

/Marcus

#2 BosDvr

BosDvr

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

Great start. The more you get underwater and shoot the better you will become both in technique, understanding of your gear, etc. I suggest focusing on 2 things - lighting and composition. Take lots of shots to learn what works and what doesn't. A good example is to avoid shooting subjects from directly above as that will create a dull or "lifeless" perception of the subject. Keep at it!

#3 Marcus Wendel

Marcus Wendel

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

/Marcus

#4 Guest_patrickwilson86_*

Guest_patrickwilson86_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

A good place to start your underwater photography experience is in the safer and manageable confines of a swimming pool. You can learn how to handle the camera in a wet environment; and if it falls to the bottom of the pool, then you don’t have far to go to retrieve it. Use your friends or family members as practice subjects. Shoot images from various angles above the water, at the water line, and then underwater.

Get more tips from the following articles :

http://www.nikonusa....hotography.html

http://www.photograp...ter-photography

Hope you will some good tips for underwater photography from the articles.

#5 MonkeyKnifeFight

MonkeyKnifeFight

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Simplest advice is to get low and shoot up. You don't want pictures to look flat. Also like all photography the closer the better. It should be obvious what the subject of each photo is.

#6 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

It is just to keep diving and taking pics, which is true for all of us as well.
Read a few books about UW Photography.
Have a look at the Pictures in those books and contemplate why you like them and how to emulate them.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

As others have said, a good start. Get closer, and avoid centering your subject unless you are filling the entire frame. Checking out composition "rules" from any photo website will help you to compose appealing images.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig