Photo
- - - - -

Trip Cancellation Insurance

Do you use it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Trip Cancellation Insurance (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use trip insurance

1. Yes (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

I have never used trip insurance. Considering a 10 day liveaboard at Palau and wondering if I should use trip insurance. Pricing seems a bit steep for the insurance at ~5% of the cost of the trip. I believe nothing close to 5% of the people cancel out of such trips. But 5% is far cheaper than being out the total cost if something happens requiring cancellation.

Do people here use trip insurance often? Is 5% a typical cost?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't know about "5%"...but yes, I've used it on any trip in hurricane season.

Be careful about the grades available. e.g. Access America sells a couple different level at different premium costs. The one I bought unfortunately only kicked in with benefits if you lost > 48 hrs of your vacation time, so when our first attempt to land in Belize City occurred in the middle of a tropical storm, and the plane turned around and landed back at DFW instead (that was a looong day), we got nada.

I think the premium ends up being semi-related to how soon you buy ahead, but I haven't tested that. .e.g. if you buy way early they're insuring against a longer period of time before the event can go off successfully, since one of the things being insured is that YOU don't get injured in a way you're unable to take the trip....then again, you might also think they'd crank the premium right at the end to prevent buying when you already have a strong inkling (e.g. searching on www.hurricane.gov!) that a trip is about to go south on you ;) Might make an interesting study testing out their online quoting with different dates to see how it influences their pricing....

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:52 AM

In addition to DAN Preferred, I carry a non-diving medical policy for my foreign travel. It's with TravelGuard and is called "Business Traveler". It's an annual policy that costs about $450 including an option for $5000 of travel cancellation coverage. Above that amount, I self-insure. I have it principally for medical coverage, but the travel coverage is a nice kicker.

Here's the site: http://buy.travelgua...4567&prc=008366

Go to the Description of Coverage tab for details.

#4 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

I get a TravelGuard Gold policy for every trip I take, but I have a lot of scheduling issue that could come into play, and need to cancel for business reason that the policy offers. I've never had to file a claim, but several times I have to alter trips and make adjustments to the policies, and that has always gone smoothly.
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries

#5 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Working out, Fishing, NFL Football

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I have never bought trip insurance in my 21 years of dive travel. I had one trip going to Bonaire a few years ago that was canceled because the Miami airport closed down for two days during a hurricane. The airlines fully refunded our money and the resort, Buddy Dive, gave each of us a credit to use in the next 12 to 18 months or something like that. I have found that at least the dive resorts will work with people to see that they at least get a credit for another trip.

I have probably saved enough money to take a couple of trips by not buying travel insurance.

#6 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I get family travel insurance FOC with my personal bank account and, for a small surcharge, it includes diving to 40 metres (diving to 30 metres is inclusive). This policy has paid out for me three times in the last four years for two cancelled trips and the theft of cameras in transit. If you are in the UK, the Lloyds Platinum account is one to look for. The only cost to me is to keep my credit balance above a certain level otherwise a very modest monthly fee is charged.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#7 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

My annual travel policy (£120 year) covered my last trip that went south due to the diagnosis of a family member (father) with terminal cancer.
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures