• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peterclark

peterclark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have an Ikelite 8" dome port with the extender for a Tamron fisheye lens. I also have a pelican case that I keep my housing, strobe, and port for my macro in. I now am looking for a pelican case just for my dome port. Does anyone know of a specific pelican case that would fit the dome port well? There are just so many options and I didn't know if anyone knew of any offhand. Thanks!

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

A lot of people just get some sort of tupperware or 'cake pan' to hold the port, and pad the inside with a towel where it might contact the dome face. I know with an extension this might have to get pretty deep, but you can detach the extension and pack separately (and pack a plastic-handled strap wrench) with less space than leaving it assembled.

I have just been wrapping domes up in a piece of old wetsuit and strapping bungies around to hold it on, then stuffing it in the middle of my checked bag with the dive gear. So far...so good....but it hasn't travelled on a lot of trips with me overall.

(Is it just me or is there a lot of weirdness with font size when replying in the new Wetpixel??)

Edited by rtrski, 19 July 2012 - 10:16 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 peterclark

peterclark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

I love that idea! My main reason for it is to just store it at home when not in use. I live right near a ton of diving but unfortunately only get to go out a few times a year and need a good method of protecting the port from myself. Tupperware should be perfect. Thanks!

#4 DrMark

DrMark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have an Ikelite 8" dome port with the extender for a Tamron fisheye lens.

I have this dome port on order, and am looking for the same solution. Can you tell me the deminsions of the port (I know it is 8" in diameter, what is the other dimension)?

Thanks,

--Mark

#5 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

I use a tupperware type cake box as well. Just remove the cake lifter. The dome & shade is about 25 cm (about 10 inch). THe height is 10,5 cm (just measured, my kit is ready for a wreck diving weekend, that has been cut to just the sunday because of wave height.) I have a cake box where the smallest port body (the one used for the tokina 10-17 and the sigma 15) can stay attached comfortably
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#6 Longimanaus

Longimanaus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

I just bought a scubapro reg bag for $30. It has a shell and padding, plus a nifty sleeve for a roll-on handle. Perfect for packing in the middle of my clothes bag or slipped over the handle of my roller because security always wants to know what it is.
Nikon D700, Hugyfot, Inon Z240s, Nikkor 16-35mm, shaved Tokina 10-17mm, 105mm D series, 60mm, Zen 230mm dome

http://www.matthewramaley.com