7 replies to this topic

#1 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hi All.

Let's suppose that you got a shot, finally, that you feel has a real chance of doing well in a contest. The shot was taken in the Caribbean.

the shot required some cropping, and a little backscatter removal, a touch of levels, and a wee bit of sharpening.

Is there a particular contest that this shot would fit into that would have the best return if it did happen to do well?

Once a photo places in a contest, is it ineligible for other contests? Do you lose rights to your photo if it wins?

I'm sure all this info is in the archives here somewhere but I did search and found some conflicting info.

I'd really appreciate any help, including links to threads that may have already covered this.

Thanks very much.

Mike

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hey, Mike!

LAUPS, NCUPS, Beneath the Sea, etc. have great contests with great prizes. Normally, once an image places in a major photo contest, it is ineligible for others (read the fine print). Many contests will assume some publication rights to your photo (again, read the fine print).

DSAO,
Jim
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hey, Mike!

LAUPS, NCUPS, Beneath the Sea, etc. have great contests with great prizes. Normally, once an image places in a major photo contest, it is ineligible for others (read the fine print). Many contests will assume some publication rights to your photo (again, read the fine print).

DSAO,
Jim

Thanks Jim! Do you know off hand if the manipulation I have described above would make a photo ineligible for those contests?

Also, does that mean it's improper to enter a photo in more than one contest simutaniously?

#4 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

About manipulation: The contests rule almost always state what you can and cannot do. There are even some contests with different categories for manipulated (unrestricted) or unmanipulated (restricted) photos like OWU.
You can enter the same picture in as many contest as you want as long as, at the time of entering, it has not earn any prize. Once the picture has won anything important, you will have to read the next contest rules to see if they allow prized pics or not.

About rights: read the rules. I do not enter any contest where the rights go beyond "only using the winning pics to promote the contest etc..." some contest even keep the rights of all the entered pics (whether they win or not!!!)
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#5 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

About manipulation: The contests rule almost always state what you can and cannot do. There are even some contests with different categories for manipulated (unrestricted) or unmanipulated (restricted) photos like OWU.
You can enter the same picture in as many contest as you want as long as, at the time of entering, it has not earn any prize. Once the picture has won anything important, you will have to read the next contest rules to see if they allow prized pics or not.

About rights: read the rules. I do not enter any contest where the rights go beyond "only using the winning pics to promote the contest etc..." some contest even keep the rights of all the entered pics (whether they win or not!!!)

thanks very much!

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

The other thing to watch for is a statement like agree to waive your moral rights which means in practice no credit...Duh! Isn't that the point of entering a contest in the first place? Bragging rights? Who will know its you if the organiser won't credit?

And yes, I have seen 'competition' terms stating this. Just read the small print.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#7 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

The other thing to watch for is a statement like agree to waive your moral rights which means in practice no credit...Duh! Isn't that the point of entering a contest in the first place? Bragging rights? Who will know its you if the organiser won't credit?

And yes, I have seen 'competition' terms stating this. Just read the small print.

Good to know, thanks for the info about that. I would never have guessed that oblique wording would mean that.

Honestly, I'd rather have a week on a live aboard than credit though. My photography addiction owes me a lot of money back. ;-)

#8 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Honestly, I'd rather have a week on a live aboard than credit though

Unless waived, a photo credit is a right. Yesterday I had a publication offer me a credit...they were reminded that moral rights are not something extra - they are a must-have. And if a client wants me to use an image and waive my right to a credit, they pay double. And yes, I have paid invoices that reflect this...

So its not unreasonable to expect the liveaboard trip and a credit.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com