2 replies to this topic

#1 djeclarke

djeclarke

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hello all,

I'm an avid reader of this site but only a sporadic poster. However as I now feel that I have finally exhausted the potential of my trusted D70, I thought it would be best to ask for some advice before I upgrade.

I would like to stick with Nikon and with DX format if possible to retain the use of the 10.5mm fisheye and also as I like the additional reach for topside work (I'm a marine biologist and do a lot of Photo ID work with cetaceans). This leaves me with 2 options as far as I can tell, the D300s or the D7000. I know this is a debate that's been done to death already so apologies for that.

At first glance the D300s seemed the more attractive option to me, especially for my topside work given the faster AF and the more durable body (great against nasty salt spray and the like). However, after looking at dozens of underwater pics taken by both cameras, the D7000 seems to deliver better results. The D300s looks a little noisy to me, especially when dealing with sunballs and other wide angle work. The D7000 seems to have markedly better image quality in this respect.

To be honest, the best pics i've seen in this regard from a crop sized sensor are from the Canon 7D! But I'd rather not jump ship at this juncture if possible.

Am I being overly picky? And should I wait for whatever Nikon comes up with as a direct replacement for the D300s?

Any help would be much appreciated

Dom

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

D70 came out in 2004
D80 in Aug. 2006
D90 in Aug. 2008
D7000 in Sept 2010

See any pattern here?
Perhaps later in 2012 will provide a new selection with housings to follow.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm in the same boat and am regularly checking for the D7000 replacement. If I'm lucky it will be out with housings before my trip in October.
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries