• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

I am trying to find out exactly what these are good for underwater and what lens they work well with?

I have seen info on the tokina 10-17 + kenko 1.4 being good for CFWA, can someone give me an insight as to why this is?

With this changing the focal length to 14-24 does this make it better for shooting sharks a bit further away?

What about using it with a 60mm macro, does this work?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand whats good and bad about them

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Teleconverters get you a longer focal length and more magnification at the expense of some image quality and either one or two full stops of light depending on the strength of the tele. I use a 1.4 all the time on a 60 mm macro lens to get 40% more magnification. I have not used it much for CFWA but some folks like the way that it looks and you will get more reach with the tele. But be careful; Nikon and Canon teleconverters were really designed for long lenses; not the Tokina or the 60 macro so make sure your combo will focus with the lens that you want to use it with. Also remember that most focus or zoom rings will not mesh correctly if you have the tele on the lens since you have moved it forward quite a bit.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Bill, many thanks for the info, looks like it is good for the 60mm macro then, if using I will obviously need a port.

I am still interested in finding out if the Tokina would be improved for shark pictures