6 replies to this topic

#1 ToddB

ToddB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi All,

I'm heading to Dominica in Feb and didn't realize until now what a pain it was to get there. Look's AA is the only choice and I'm stuck between a 1.5 hour and 40 minute (departure/return) layover in San Juan or 13hr layovers. Has anyone done the short layover successfully? I've never been to SJU before.

Thanks,
Todd

#2 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

40 minutes is doable if......no lines at customs, your luggage arrives at customs quickly, no lines at security and you are quick on your feet. Usually one of these messes things up.
You can try LIAT but they are unreliable. 1.5 hours is very doable on both ends provided that there are no delays. You will have to run from your gate to the American Eagle gate.
I no longer have a single day option, I am forced overnight both on incoming and return flights. Good luck.

#3 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

You can do LIAT (leaving island any time) which is cheaper, but they always seem to have some strike or the other going on and getting bumped or delayed is more of a rule than exception. There are also other small airlines that fly there from different islands, so for example if you can get a cheap ticket to St. Croix, then you could fly a local airline (like coastal air) directly to the little airport In Roseau.

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

If I were you I'd do the 13 hour layover. Stay overnight in Miramar, have dinner at Lima, and leave in the am. You may land up having to do that anyway if you miss the flight. You can count on Lliat to run late, maybe cancel the flight, and probablly lose your gear
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I second the overnight stay. It adds to the trip time obviously...but better that than risking missing it and losing trip time vs. planning it ahead.

Plus unless you take the last trip into SJU for the day, you have some pad in case luggage gets misrouted on prior connections (it might catch up to you in SJU while you stay the night for your next day's flight to DOM). Although in my case, coming from DFW was almost always direct to SJU, then to DOM from there.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#6 ToddB

ToddB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Overnight it is, thanks all!

#7 nudibranch

nudibranch

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:diving,photography, hiking, food,friends, family, books in no particular order. <br />Currently one of two persons authorized by the govt to apply for limited permits for in water sperm whale/marine mammal photography.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

Flight updates

SJU and WINAIR or LIAT, Eagle pulled out and Winair took the same stupid time slot as dictated by AEagle, making no difference whatsoever at all. LIAT departs an hour or so later so you could do it if you wanted to, go though SJU, i'd rather swim.

Jet Blue or whomever to SXM and AirBVI  http://www.gobvi.com   - avoid SJU altogether and can be done in a day if those on the west coast of the US don't mind red eye flights, no code share with Jet Blue yet, so you have to book on their site,

Out of Canada, ANU or BGA  or SXM then LIAT (or air BVI) , give yourself at least 3 hours between flights in ANU or SXM, This will ensure your bags move across the tarmac either by themselves or carried in the former two.

Latest update http://www.citairways.com/  This was spoken about many years ago (2004/5) as a carrier for Ross U students, I'd met one of the owners and told them that Ross would be the tip of the iceberg. If people are traveling when Ross season starts/stops, then I forsee issues with people being bumped for students whining about no seats, but im an optimist.

In anycase, we remain one of the top 25 least visited places in the world, and of course the hardest to get to in the Caribbean. But once you're here, it's worth it....

Izzy

Izzy

Arun Madisetti
Roseau
Commonwealth of Dominica

www.imagesdominica.com