10 replies to this topic

#1 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

[youtubehd]GwGH1CguXSw[/youtubehd]

Edited by kkfok, 24 July 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#2 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

I enjoyed that, thankyou.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#3 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Thanks.
Some of the underwater clips were taken with Panasonic GH2, I can see some serious color banding.

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Lovely! It's such a magical part of the world when the weather is on your side! :)

Cheers, Simon

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Still, great stuff. Is the banding issue typical of the Pana GH2. It's a cam I am not really familiar with.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Still, great stuff. Is the banding issue typical of the Pana GH2. It's a cam I am not really familiar with.
Steve

The banding tends to occur when there's a lot of single color in the scene...e.g. blue or green mid-water. Shooting at wide aperture in low light conditions seems to worsen the banding.

It's an issue in the GH2 (hacked or unhacked makes no difference) when using the AVCHD codec...due to Panasonic's idiosyncratic (i.e. not very good) implementation of H.264/AVCHD.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the actual camera hardware, even though it's 8 bit color. Using the GH2's MJPEG codec (in a hacked camera: HBR @ 1080p and 4:2;2 color) virtually eliminates color banding.

Great video. Love the Puffins :)

Edited by HDVdiver, 29 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#7 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Any particular version of the Hack?

regards

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#8 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Any particular version of the Hack?

regards

David

I'm quite happy with Driftwood's Orion v4b. Also worth trying (I haven't yet) is one of the "Low light MJPEG" hacks from LPowell.

There's so many flavors of the hack now that it's a matter of doing your own tests. Fortunately applying/changing the hacks only takes a few minutes. :)

#9 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

"There's so many flavors of the hack now that it's a matter of doing your own tests. Fortunately applying/changing the hacks only takes a few minutes.'

Too true...I have tried out a few. They are like a basket of fruit. Different flavours and colours :)
My second-hand GH2 is one of my best value purchase ever. Never had so much fun with a wee digicam before.
Just the other day I was trying out a TV lens like those on ENG camcorders. Boy was I surprised. F1.6 (3.2 using the 2x extender) par focal zoom from 8mm to 117mm (approx 20 to 235MM). The lens is also free as it came out of an old broadcast cam. the B4 to 4/3 adapter is worth more than the lens. Now I must built a tube housing and a few controls to see if this contraption works well underwater. Oh I could slap on a 67mm achromatic +10 wet dioptre and the rig could take unbelievable close up. So thanks goodness you have found something that could improve the banding problem. I think good optics and lighting makes a big difference. Most of my test is still land based and with old lenses but will no be long before I take it down underwater.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#10 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Here are couple of pictures. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread....too lazy to start a new one :)

Attached Images

• Gh2HackWetPic1.jpg
  • Gh2HackWetPic2.jpg

#11 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Brillaint vid, thanks for sharing, must get myself up there next year! Who did you book the trip through?
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>