• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Davidhol

Davidhol

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hi. I have a D7000 with the a 18-55 Nikon lens in an Ikelite housing. This lens uses the 5503.50 6" dome port. I'm thinking of getting a micro lens and the Nikon AF-S DX Micro 85mm f/3.5G ED VR or Tokina AT-X 100 PRO D have caught my eye. I want to house them in the same port if possible to ease travel logistics
1. The sizes seem to fit the dome port - but is it possible? Ikelite suggests flat ports for these lenses and I am trying to understand what happens if I go with the dome. I will loose some magnification vs a flat port but will probably need a +2 or +4 diopter so I will get some back and can focus closer (critters allowing).
2. Does anybody have experience with these lenses whether with the D7000 or other cameras?
3. Other suggestions for lenses?
Thanks

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I use the D7000 with the Tokina 100mm macro in a flat port.
It is a nice, well built lens with good optical quality, but you need to get used
to use a 100/105mm lens under water as you easily loose the object to photograph and
it is very difficult to use in surge or current conditions.
The pro of a 100/105/150mm lens is that the minimum focusing distance is longer spooking
less shy animals.
Depending on the length of your 18-55mm lens you may need a long extension ring to fit the lens inside
and this can become complicated to handle and may put strain on the Ikelite port locks.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 Wanderer

Wanderer

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I shoot with a D7000 and my go to macro lenses are the nikkor 60mm and 105mm. Have not tried the Tokina 100mm but I can talk to you regarding that focal length. If you are shooting with an 18-55mm you will need a diopter to do macro subjects as the magnification is 1:3 with the lens by itself, which is not ideal for macro shooting. 60mm is for baseball size to volleyball size subjects, although you can do smaller if you get in real close. 100/105 is for baseball size and under.

I would definitely use a flat port for macro lenses. You may get focus and distortion issues if you try using a dome port. Just because the lens fits in the housing does not mean you will get good results. Also, domes scratch easily and my guess is that you are far more likely to bump up against something with a dome shooting macro than with a dome shooting WA. Not to mention, you can't attach any form of wet diopter to a dome port (that I know of). I'm not sure how I feel about the 85mm lens. It seems to be neither here nor there but in the middle. If you use a diopter with your 18-55mm, then I would probably go with the 100mm lens for more magnification as 85 is just a bit too close to 55m+diopter for me.