• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jenkjond

jenkjond

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm as new as it gets with shooting or recording anything underwater. I have a 7d with Ikelite housing and I am now trying to find the best lighting option for me. I will only be able to purchase lights once. They need to be as versatile as possible for me and they will hopefully be able to stick around with me for a long time. The aspect that appeals to me the most is being able to take wide angle video during the day, but I would also like to be able to do macro and night time shots as well. I plan on doing both video and pictures. Is there a light or lighting combo that stands out in this price range? I am not opposed to waiting for a good deal on some used lights to come around as I am not in a huge rush to buy. From reading some topics I was seeing people happy with the SOLA 4000, but don't think I would be able to find a used pair get close enough to my budget. Would a pair of SOLA 2000 be adequate or would it be better to get a single higher powered light? Or would a different brand/combo of light be better? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1541 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Depends on what you mean by wide-angle video. My wife shoots 2xSola 1200s but mostly for macro and if you want to light up a wreck they won't do it, for macro and night they are great but for video only, not really a good solution for shooting stills. You might look at the Keldan's; many folk like them a lot.

Good luck
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 jenkjond

jenkjond

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info Bill. Wide angle is pretty generic, huh? :) I guess I mean the videos you see where the photographer is panned out with a wide view of some reef and water and still has everything lit up (to sum up an over generic comment with another overly generic comment). The feedback on the 1200's help, that tells me I'll need something more powerful than a pair of those. I looked at the Keldan's and they seem very nice. Would a pair of Keldan's also work for taking stills?

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1541 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I personally don't think that any CW lighting is good for stills (OK maybe but not good) since a strobe can get you both stopped action and DOF control and light up dim scenes. I think those nice lit up scenes of the reef were lit by God and her lighting seems to be highly variable, too bright when you want to shoot low DOF and too dark most of the other times.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

SOLA lights are great very happy with my photo 1200 for macro and video