60 replies to this topic

#41 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

PHD is like saying you need to be a Rocket Scientist, very well educated to understand or work out a problem.

I will be at the Festival in Marseille (Antibes) 1-4 Nov. will you be attending? Plan to be in the area for two weeks, how to get in a dive or two.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 04 October 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#42 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

But as long as I will not know what "PHD" means I will not be able to avoid misunderstood , the only explain I found on internet was about "Doctor of Philosophy" Posted Image

Yes, Ph.D. = Doctor of Philosophy degree. Do not confuse a Ph.D. with technical ability. There's an old saying. "B.S. = bull sh*t, M.S. = more of the same, Ph.D. = piled higher and deeper.
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#43 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Upgraded my camera with absolutely no problems. The Olympus updater led me from v 1.2 to 1.4 and then with a second upgrade to 1.5.

The only caveat:: The update took long, very long (4min? 5min? felt like 30...). Just be patient and do not touch anything during the upgrade process, even if you think the system hangs and everything is screwed up. It isn't, it just takes time!

@Girelle:

Girelle, do you actually own the 60mm lens and tested how it fits into the 12-50 port? If it really fits perfectly, that would save the cost of buying a yet to come macro port and make the price of the 12-50 port less painful...

Greetings,
Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#44 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

To me, the instructions of what versions to update to are not clear.

It says 1.5 includes all the updates, up to 1.2 ! Well, what about 1.3 and 1.4? Are we supposed to update them first? And then do the 1.5 update? Or is it really all rolled into the 1.5 ujpdate, as any sane firmware update should be.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#45 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Don,

just follow the the Olympus updater! (Stop thinking...)

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#46 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes the flip holder diopter seems not available yet , if you are in a hurry and want absolutely to use a wet macro lense with the 12-50 the other option is to buy the 77 mm lense from Dyron . It's not a bad idea , as this lense is wide , you should have less blurr on the side and the corner of the pictures
I don't know what PHD is ( I'm french ) but I easy understand what it's suppose to mean when I look to the zoom gear still in the box Posted Image

As I have a good friend who is an astro physicist, I'll substitute Rocket Scientist. And yes, the instructions are very clear, they just go much beyond the typical zoom gear ;-)

Edited by tdtaylor, 05 October 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#47 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

A 77mm to 67mm step down ring may work for the time being if you don't get the flip adapter in time and is not to expensive. http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_Lens.html

I already figured I was headed down the path to a stepdown ring- I'm just getting spoiled by the flip, and not having to handle the diopter.

I've read about holders for filters that attach to the strobe arms, so you don't have to throw them in a BC pocket. Anyone have a hint on where I can look. I'm taking a travel BC, so pocket space is at a premium.

Thanks,

Terry

#48 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

I am not a fan of flips because wherever you flip it, it is in the way. Flip left - blocks a strobe. Flip right - blocks a strobe. Flip up - blocks your focus light. Flip down - bashes into the seabed (or stops you getting the camera as low as possible).

But my Subsee +5 has a small scratch in it from being in my BC pocket!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#49 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Alex, with the Nauticam Flip holder you can actually pull it behind the macro port. I shot it for 10 days without any real issues.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#50 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have grown to like the flip, if only for the BC pocket issue. I changed the set screws on the mounting side of the flip and set them so the flip goes at a 45 degree angle up and to the left. This has mostly gotten rid of the issues I had which you mentioned above.

I head out next week for a week diving, and since the new M77 to M66 flip is not available, and my travel BC has small pockets, I am giving this a try for holding filters for video. It is really not large enough for the diopters, but a Dyron +7 can just squeeze in if another filter in not in the opposite side. I have been using one of these for several years above ground, and being neoprene, thought I would be convenient UW. It is pretty easy to get a 77mm filter in either side with one hand and secure it in the holder. We'll see....

http://www.bhphotovi...ILTER_PACK.html

#51 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

Girelle, can you confirm, the nauticam 12-50 port, only supports motorized zoom, on that lens? Or can you use manual zoom?
Don Erway

#52 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Yes, the Nauticam port is supports power zoom and macro mode. Manual zoom is not supported.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#53 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

So, this is the beastie:

Posted Image

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#54 jplaurel

jplaurel

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

67mm filter thread on that port?

#55 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

For those with this housing already, what tray and arm set are you using? There was a comment somewhere that the Nauticam Flexitray was "too flexible" but its not clear what that meant. Any recommendations?

#56 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

67mm filter thread on that port?

Nope, 77mm

For those with this housing already, what tray and arm set are you using? There was a comment somewhere that the Nauticam Flexitray was "too flexible" but its not clear what that meant. Any recommendations?

Ultra light tray and arms on my rig.

Posted Image

Edited by jlyle, 09 October 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#57 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Yes, the Nauticam port is supports power zoom and macro mode. Manual zoom is not supported.

Bummer! That is a non starter for me. Power zoom! You must be kidding. I know, all you videographers love it. But yuck!!!!
Don Erway

#58 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I like the Nauticam Flexitray and think the grips are the best I have used. The fact that the tray has a bit of "flex" rather than being very rigid does not bother me at all. I also have the wrist strap for added support while holding the housing with my right hand. To offset the negative weight of the small housing while in the water I use the same type of blocks seen in Jlyle's photo above. I use four blocks for both macro and my W/A (7-14, 6' dome) I also have two of the eight inch Inon float arms attached with both the macro and W/A. What adds the most dead weight to the macro system for me is the SubSee +10 closeup lens a heavy but steller chunck of glass. I also use the Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder with the NA-EM5 housing (excellent for macro lenses) and that adds a bit of weight as well.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 10 October 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#59 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Phil, do you use the large-diamater float arms or the smaller ones. I am now thinking about the "details" of my system (which I think will be pretty much identical to yours: Housing/tray, 6" dome with 7-14, 12-50 and 60 macro both in the 12-50 port, and 45 deg viewfinder) but had not thought about bouyancy.

Also, will the 9-18 work in the 6" dome? Looks like there is sufficient room. Sometimes, the extra reach on the long end is beneficial and I am thinking about keeping that lens anyway as an ultra-compact travel lens kit with the 14-150, but would like to use it underwater if it works.

#60 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I use these Inon 8' float arms which I used with my Olympus E-3 DSLR system as well.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=3516

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympus, OM D EM5, NA-EM5, housing