3 replies to this topic

#1 lungfish

lungfish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi guys

I want to start taking some pic's while diving and was hoping to use my current camera witch is the CANON IXUS 220HS. The problem is it has no manual adjustment for aperture settings or shutter speed. Im reading underwater photography for compact camer users by Maria Munn, and manual adjustment of these settings seem important.

Hopefully some one can help as the cost of a new camera and housing is steep.

P.S I have been looking at the CANON own brand housing and the IKELITE housing and was wondering what would be best. I think i already know the answer to this but always looking to save a few £'s.

Any and all help would be great.

Thanks

Russell

#2 lungfish

lungfish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi again guys

Im in the UK where my camera is named the CANON IXUS 220HS in the US its the CANON power shot 300HS.

At least i think it is. Hope this helps me getting an answer to my problem

Thanks

Russell

#3 lungfish

lungfish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Sorry wrong again its the CANON PowerShot ELPH 300HS

#4 SpiderSense

SpiderSense

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

hey Russell,
for the point and shoot cameras i've used, changing the shutter and aperture doesn't do much. my suggestion would be to set the camera to macro mode and get close to the subjects. i find point and shoot cameras great for macros and easy to get nice photos. i like to use strobe with ettl. then i use my lcd and adjust relative strobe power using flash exposure compensation and strobe position.

get the cheapest setup with a decent strobe and practice before your trip.

then if you like it, invest in better gear later.