8 replies to this topic

#1 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hello,

I finally decided to get a viewfinder for my Aquatica AD 90 housing and was quite ready to get the Aquatica viewfinder as it seemed like the obvious choice. However I am have been recommended to also look at the Nauticam VF as it seems to do the same thing but cheaper. Money is not the ultimate decided here as the difference is marginal, I am really just looking to get the better product.

I do not have the means to look at these before buying them and would appreciate opinions. I could not find any topics here comparing the products and if I have missed it I would be glad if someone could highlight them for me.

Thanks
John

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hey John,

you're welcome to have a go using my rig with the straight Nauticam VF next time we dive. That is if you can manage to prise it out of my hands Posted Image
The other thing of course to weigh up is do you want the straight VF or the 45 degree? When I got mine the only option for Nauticam(and Aquatica)
was the straight one. Personally if I had the choice now I'd be getting the 45 as I'm Macrocentric and probably dive more than enough to keep myself
attuned to the off-line view point. As far as the focus dial goes on the Nauticam I feel it's a once off use unless it gets knocked out of position. It may
come into play as my eyesight starts to decline.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Jim,

Ha! I take you are rugged up...I am ready to go!!! I have new fins, the very wide type and you can be assured of a dust cloud until you let me have a go with your VF!!! :)

I am trying to decide between the two, the Aquatica one will cost about $50 more than the Nauticam. It seems like the Aquatica one is bulkier without the underwater adjustment. Aquatica can be adjusted prior to installation and if setting it up is a one off thing then it should not be a deciding factor.

I suppose the real thing is which one is nicer to look through and unfortunately I have not seen the Aquatica one yet. I did look through yours before and it is a million times better that a standard viewfinder.

Aquatica seemed like the obvious choice because that is what I already have and it is a bit difficult to come to grips with mixing and matching brands on my housing. However if it was clear cut that Nauticam is better than I would go for it instead.

Regarding the 45 degree VF, yes I have considered it however it is more the magnification I am after...then again the 45 degree is under that magical $1000 mark...and I see the Nauticam on rotates anyway...

Hard to decide....

Cheers....

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

... if I had the choice now I'd be getting the 45 as I'm Macrocentric...

Odd, as the angled finders are superb with wide-angles, but a lot more difficult to use with longer focal length macro lenses!

Tim

#5 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I think I am coming to the realization that I just have to take a plunge, get something and live with the decision!!! There seems to be no clear cut answer...

#6 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

did you factor in the cost of the adapter to the aquatica housing?. If you ever switch housing brands, the nauticam can travel with you to the new housing. On the other hand, the viewfinder from aquatica might be highly valued on the second hand market.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#7 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

Yep...it is $50 for the adapter so overall the Nauticam is about $200 less...

#8 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

I cant comment on the Nauticam, but a pro and a con with the Aquatica
pro
its designed for the housing so you still can view the LCD perfectly, its also one piece, whereas the Nauticam I believe requires an adapter too
cons
be very very careful with it, I somehow damaged the internal lenses of my first one, (if I had knocked it surely I would have known?) was very fragile, but they assured me my new one was a lot more robust, I just took it as it was a free replacement
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#9 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

Odd, as the angled finders are superb with wide-angles, but a lot more difficult to use with longer focal length macro lenses!

Tim

I guess I formed that opinion as I find myself mostly shooting macro on the bottom so assumed the 45 would be somewhat more ergonomic
if indeed also trickier to line up. Tried the 105 for first time the other weekend and it was hard enough with the straight VF at times so I can
see your point Tim. Anyway the point is probably moot for me as I have what I have and it works fine.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aquatica, Nauticam, Viewfinder