• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

For those who may be interested - Just got this on my lap today. Amphibico's FS100 Genesis for the Sony FS100 NXcam. A friend is bringing a camera for testing and then a trip so may post some more stuff later in a month or so. With the FS 100 price dropping this is certainly a good consideration.

The camera uses a Super 35mm sensor (same as the Red Epic) and allows the use of E-mount lenses. Plus with A-mount adapter uses A-mount lens. Big sensor and advance lenses creates a nice Bokeh. So no excuse for not shooting that cinematic footage so to speak.

I was told a FS700 version will be out later. Similar in design and feel but bigger. I suspect the Rouge for the Epic may have the same design DNA. Most of the critical controls are within finger reach. The grips are their standard large buttons grip found in Phenom and EX3. Fairly comfortable and easy to remember so you don't need to think about it once you use it a few times.

I am familiar with pro-Amphibico housings since the days of the Amphibicam for the HDW F900. Those where giants compare with this Genesis. Looks like a gap year did not dent Amphibico's enthusiasm. Controls and ergonomics are excellent and many details such as ports and gears I could see belongs to Aquatica, the parent company. This housing looks and feels retro with a bit of amphibico and aquatica mixed in.

Many would say electronic control is a no no for UW housing I have to say if it is critical then bring some spare parts. Even with mechanical housing I bring spare parts. I believe with the Rouge some additional critical mechanical controls will be added. I will be corrected if I am wrong. Well for first impressions Amohibico is definitely back in the game for prosumer and pro housings. Great to see they are producing quality housings.

Genesis1.jpg Genesis2.jpg

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

More pics

Genesis4.jpg Genesis5.jpg Genesis6.jpg

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#3 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Looks pretty cool :) although there might be glare probs with the top monitor window ... Will there be a mirror solution like the Phenom I wonder?

Glad to see Amphibico back in the mix :) especially with the new Sony making an appearance ... I never had any probs with electronic controls in tropical or cold water

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yes the top window may get reflection. Looks like a XiT 404 penta mirror solution may be in the works. May be a deep hood could solve the problem. Alternatively either Backscatter Wahoo or the Nauticam's DP4 monitor housing could be mounted at the back hatch as that has some threaded holes.

Cheers
David

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ext Monitors are way more versatile ... :)

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Looks like the buttons are all in the right place but I really don't care for the positioning of the monitor even if it had a sun protector. When you have to get down real low, especially for macro, your are then holding the housing below you as you look down. Not sure sure I care for that. The original Light and Motion housing, when they made housings for some of the better camcorders available at the time and before they decided to go only to the low end of cams, had top side and look down monitors and they were a bit awkward to use. I believe Eric Cheng had one for the Z1-U.

Your Genesis has the whole back plate to use instead of the bare plate it is now. All part of R&D I guess.
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Would there be any zoom and manual /auto focus function or will it be limited like a DSLR.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

The housing has a finger/thumb tip knurl ring at each grip - see picture. These controls focus and zoom or other presets. Okay its electronic BUT
In combination with an Aquatica focus ext. ring manual zoom and manual focus is possible. TI have not tried it but its not difficult to custom mod the gears.

GripZoom-focus.jpg

cheers

David

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Looks good, how does it accommodate different lenses, does it use the various extenders from the Aquatica range and can you use the Aquatica ports on the front?

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#10 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hi Jon

The port mount is exactly the same as for Aquatica DSLR housings even have a port lock. In theory if the FS100 is fitted with a Metabone EOS adapter one could use the 16-35mm EF and the Aquatica focus extension ring. AF and focus on demand is possible plus zoom. I am sure other lens combos are possible. I can't wait to try out this rig.

Cheers

David

#11 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

What are the controls?

#12 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hi Peter

14 electronic buttons to access over 25 functions. All accessible with out leaving the grips.
Menu access to camcorder functions
Proportional Manual focus - meaning slow and speedy control by turning the thumb/finger ring next to the grip
Proportional Manual Zoom Knob
Manual White Balance
Manual Iris
Manual Gain
Manual Shutter Speed
Tally light
3 auxiliary ports for sockets
plus others.....

Hey more control than your Carbon Fiber housing LOL :)

Cheers

David

#13 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hey more control than your Carbon Fiber housing LOL :)

I'm not so sure, my friend. :)

I have all those functions, plus:

Auto-focus lock
4 x preset WB settings.

Although those proportional dials do sound nice.

What about the specs of the camera itself? Does the lack of 50Mbps worry you?

Is it 422 color? Sony does not say on their website?

I do like the light sensitivity of the larger sensor. Good for deep dark footage.

Maybe when the FS700 housing comes out, I might be interested...

regards
Peter

#14 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi Peter,

We will have an optional housing designed to accommodate the Atomos Ninja II recorder / monitor it will be able record video at considerably higher Bit-Rates( up to 220 Mbps) and color (4:2:2). 10 bit Uncompressed to Apple ProRes.

regards

Joe
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#15 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hey Peter

Yeah I could hit 180mbps with the little hacked GH2!!! But underwater and in flat blue banding appears..... and I can't always lug the Deep Epic around for fun. So this could be a good compromise. FS700 will be more than twice the price though. FS100 price could drop further when that comes out.

Come over the shop and have a look. The housing for the FS700 will be much like this except bigger.
The FS 100 Records 4:2:2 sampling at same 8 bits as the XF. No worries about 50MPS. Just slap on a Nano Flash recorder and away you go in the fast lane. There is a nano flash housing too. Big sensor - nice! Interchangeable lens- nice!

I am really just doing a pre-dive trip check for a friend. More housing to check out later in the year. With FS700 and then the Rouge- I can't wait. My clients have been hounding me for a smaller Epic housing with zero learning curve for the controls. I can't wait what Amphibico solution have for the the REDmote control - that is sometimes a pain to use for me and my clients. I better stop my ramblings now.

Cheers

David

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Wow...Thanks Joe

Ninja II and monitor would be an even better solution.

Cheers

David

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

A bit concerned about the heat that the Ninja might produce in the housing for it. Would be interested in how your prototype works with this once you get it set up.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#18 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Joe, do you have any date for the ninja splash pro? Is there any chance to use LA-EA2 with this housing?
Also, are the handles detachable? I am thinking about packing it into a backpack as carry-on.

Edited by kkfok, 31 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#19 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Looks great, agree with you David, would be a good companion to my Deep Epic, good for smaller trips and lower end jobs. I will be keen to see the images from it.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#20 Andrej Belic

Andrej Belic

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

When do You plan to introduce the Atomos Ninja II housing?

I'd like to order one immediately!