Photo
- - - - -

single vs dual strobes - move to dual worth it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Byte Me

Byte Me

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi.

Been shooting with a single D2000 Inon strobe for a few years now. Have moved from SP350 Oly to EPL-2 w/ zen WA port, panny 7-14 lens, kit lens, flat port, wet macro lens. Also have Sola 600 focus light.

I've been contemplating moving to dual strobes and picking up either a pair of Z240 or picking up a 2nd D2000. Main reason is that I've been frustrated by strobe positioning troubles, shadows and backscatter and simply the never ending quest for better quality photos.

So the question is - are two strobes worth the extra "bulk" underwater and while traveling for the added quality?

Thanks!

#2 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

So the question is - are two strobes worth the extra "bulk" underwater and while traveling for the added quality?

Hello,

My first rig had just a single strobe and now I'm shooting with duals. In my opinion, yes it is definitely worth the added expense and bulk to have dual strobes! The quality of lighting is superior and you have many more options as to how you want your lighting to be. And when appropriate you can always just use one light. And added bonus I discovered during my last trip: if your batteries die on one strobe because you were lazy and didn't change them before the dive you can still shoot with your remaining strobe Posted Image

Also, when in doubt look at what the pros are doing - they're all normally using two strobes.

-Gina

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I remember finding a very worthwhile improvement in image and shadow control using twin strobes. There is little burden underwater providing you get the buoyancy right but as suggested, there are penalties topside and travelling.
Other than allowing different lighting options, twin strobes don't help with backscatter; that's strobe positioning, requiring arms that give a sufficient range of strobe movement.

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2098 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Absolutely!

I have been known to travel with two Inon D2000s and two Z240s. Certain well-known characters lug Inons and even bigger strobes from country to country...

Tim

#5 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I say definitely you have more options, especially with wide angle, I don't think weight wise I makes a lot of difference, as Tim says their are many photographers
who take a lot more than two strobes/kit with them with the same weight limits, its all about packing smartly, the more you go the better the packing becomes
me I always go with my photographers jacket, I think my last trip i counted more than half on the boat used these type of jackets.
Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms