• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Wetpixel member John Bantin's magnum opus "Amazing Diving Stories" has been released and is now for sale at Amazon and other book stores. I'm sure the author will be along to tell us more about it soon Posted Image

In the meantime, here is the blurb from Amazon:

"A collection of thrilling diving stories This hardback collection of thrilling stories makes for compelling reading for all divers. There’s everything from classic tales of wreck discoveries to encounters with beautiful and bizarre creatures beneath the waves. There are stories of death and disaster as well as bravery and triumph. Take the plunge to read about the diver who discovered how to put sharks in a trance and the marine biologist who lost a limb trying to proving that sharks he studied were safe to swim with. There’s the tale behind the Red Sea’s most famous wreck, as well the Titanic’s sister ship that keeps claiming divers’ lives. Read about the politician attacked by a turtle, the saltwater crocodile that lost a sub–aqua scuffle and the eel feeding frenzy that almost claimed a life. Rogue government officials from Mexico are exposed for unacceptable underwater behavior and officious dive instructors are given the slip to allow some extraordinary underwater exploration. Exciting and extreme tales rub shoulders with more poetic pieces about the people and places that make up the folklore of this fascinating sport. This global tour takes in everywhere from Indonesia to the Caribbean and from the chill waters of Northern Europe to the reefs of the Pacific. Stories of technical pioneers are accompanied by quirky tales of adventure beneath the waves. Every ocean of the world is explored making this essential reading – or a wonderful gift – for divers everywhere."

Posted Image

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Adam,

I read my first review on Amazon and was thrilled - until I realised that it was by my wife!

That said, I do hope others will be thrilled by it and I have asked ther publisher to send you a review copy.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

I read my first review on Amazon and was thrilled - until I realised that it was by my wife!

Hey, at least it wasn't a bad review Posted Image

That said, I do hope others will be thrilled by it

I will be buying a copy when I next place a book order. I look forward to reading it!

-Gina

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Congrats John, looking forward to getting a copy

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

Congrats John, looking forward to getting a copy

Mike Veitch: "Let the Frenchies do the feeding!"

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

don't let anyone ever doubt my brain power :)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Amazon in the USA are due to start delivering at the beginning of October. I'm sorry for any disappointing delays.

The book was evidently well-thought of by Ben Davison of Undercurrent:

http://www.wileynaut...ies_book_review

Edited by John Bantin, 20 September 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Ooo, did I miss this from the intrepid John Bantin?

http://www.amazon.co...ndercutheconsum

Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'm rather hoping Adam will write a review of the copy he has!

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Now the best-selling scuba diving book on amazon in the UK. http://www.amazon.co...8&node=10194081

#11 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Doing pretty well in the USA (Thank you all), I'm told it will soon be available in Spanish!