• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Well I guess having the beaches "safe" is more important than protecting the sanctity of a MPA!

http://www.globalani...n-france/79357/

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Apparently, media are just mixing things. I've been following this a little, being a french shark scientist.
The truth, if my sources are correct, is as follow :

- 80 sharks should be fished and release for tagging purpose (that is what the media took away)
- 5 to 10 sharks from different species may be fished, and the reason for that is :
(1) what is said to shark-haters : kill some sharks to make it safer
(2) what is said to shark-lovers : test if some species of sharks are still toxic to see if some could be eated when non-targeted-fished.

the situation is very complex, as the politic taking decisions just think about "how many voters will each decision give me" instead of "what is just / logical to do".
with a very heavy population of stupid people (some surfers, some fishermen, some randoms) trying to scream loud that we must kill sharks, politics probably just hear them more than "us".
As an example, I've been doing radio interview about that, and one of the guy on the other "side" was saying
-"it's like tigers, 11 people are killed by tigers every year, we should eradicate tigers !".

Either educate population or choose dedicated politics is the solution.

As for the reason of attacks, people on the beach said the water smell very bad in place where it usually happen ("like shit") not to mention the visibility is close to 0.

Bullsharks are really mean creature attacking people all the time, aren't they ? :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Autopsea, 07 August 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

Unfortunately it seems there'll be a cull of 20+ sharks to "understand" the phenomena... sigh!

http://news.national...urfing-hotspot/

http://uk.reuters.co...E87519520120806

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

normally only 5 bulls and 5 tigers should be "taken".

But, group of angry surfers are already hunting them down secretly all over the island...

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

Yes. And it's surprising as surfers are usually the most understanding of ocean lovers. Emotions and mob mentality rule I guess.

Drew

#6 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well, It's a minority that just scream loud. A lot of surfers in La Réunion are against shark fishing, but a few can make things happens...

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well especially when the majority aren't interested either way.

Drew

#8 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

They are, the number of petitions, letters to politics, protestations is very high. But it's easier to kill a shark I guess. hundreeds of people dying from car accident on the island, nothing's done.

#9 buceo

buceo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

A goup of surfers accused the Reunion marine reserve created in 2007 to attract the shark, when you heard them before this date there is no attack but it's wrong...they are ok for shark but not on their playground !!!
They don't want understand if they kill some shark another replace them.
For a lot of people against this killing the main problem is the waste water traitment , the waste water who comme from the ravine when it rain

hundreeds of people dying from car accident on the island, nothing's done.

Yes

#10 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well, the thing is these surfers really thinks that the shark situation is artificially created by man.
They are ok surfing in water with natural sharks population, but they think because of the MPA and fish farm they have to surf in an "artificially created sharks playground" and they don't want that.

The other thing is, people say "when you kill a shark another comes". I'm not sure this is true for large sharks like tigers (and maybe bulls at a different scale). We've been seeing that populations of large sharks (or, to be exact, geographic clusters) can be extremly small (less than 100 individuals around islands way bigger than La Reunion). So killing a few adult IS a big deal for the geographic cluster. killing 50 may put the cluster at risk, dangerously reducing the genetic diversity and creating inbreeding for next generations, making the population to be even more fragile and lowering its adaptation capacities.

Edited by Autopsea, 07 August 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#11 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

they dont even know the logic of their fear is their own creation- http://www.thersa.or...e-emerging-mind

If you take this to all atoms, how you feel, affects the way other animals really behave to you.
I don't think handling these animals is good!
if was a bamboo shark and pat it on the head not grope the thing maybe...but hey!

Edited by DamonA, 30 August 2012 - 02:11 AM.