• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Wondering about the Hugyfot glass minidome vs the acrylic FE dome for a 10.5 (or 10-17). Anyone used both and care to share their experiences. I have the regular FE dome and it's pretty ugly and soon to be replaced. Thought it might be nice with something smaller.

Cheers

#2 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Editor in chief of 'Onderwatersport', the monthly magazine of the Dutch Dive Branch.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi Christian,
I recommend the minidome in combination with FE lenses. Shooting close focus it gives you the advantage that the flash light reaches the subject; large domes tend to get in the way. I use the Tokona 10-17FE with a Subal DP-54B mini dome (no extention rings) exclusively and am happy with the results.
Best regards,
--Rob

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#3 Nicool

Nicool

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

I own both domes, using the fisheye dome with Nikon 10-24mm lens. Since I bought the 10-17mm also got the Hugy mini-dome.
I have almost no experience on fisheye photo and I'm still practicing, but so far the pictures look quite sharp, and without the ability to focus closer, I think the potential of the 10-17mm would be lower.
So in my opinion, go for the Mini-dome!

#4 Longimanaus

Longimanaus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've got both the 16-35 and the 10-17 so I made the hard choice to get the Zen 230mm over the minidome for my Hugy set up. Yes, it is a bit more of a hassle for travel and security always want to know what it is, but the results are well worth it. My decision was more based on what I want for the next 10 years (buy it once, master it for a lifetime sort of thinking).

I have not been that impressed with how easily the Hugy acrylic gets micro scratches. It seems that even with a brand new cloth and thorough air blasting, the acrylic is just too soft for atmospheric dust. My advice here is to pay the extra cost and go with glass. At least you will have a better second hand product to sell when you upgrade. I wish my Hugy flat port was glass!
Nikon D700, Hugyfot, Inon Z240s, Nikkor 16-35mm, shaved Tokina 10-17mm, 105mm D series, 60mm, Zen 230mm dome

http://www.matthewramaley.com